Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i was thinking about a jardine exhaust, accel coils, and a kn air filter for my 81 gl1100 has anyone tried these upgrades? a guy on youtube says this will make my goldwing super fast

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Too be honest I would love to make a GL1100 stop a lot quicker before I even considered making it go quicker.

My gl1100 1980 goes a good 110 mph on the speedo and stops like a super tanker!

Minehas only had the inlet ports in the head and the exhaust ports polished. The piston heads too were mirror polished. This only keeps the buildup of soot on the heads down to almost nil. These two mods only move the fuel in smoothly and out smoothly.

Exhaust is a motad stainless aftermarket and to be honest is not performance.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Yeah i agree with Goldtop my 82 naked flys i can break the speed limit in third and you have to think about how much room you need to stop

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Also agree with the stopping power. Nothing like having a bit of cramp in your foot and hand after a panic

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

SS lines seem to help. see lopeha for them in the fs/wat thread.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree also with stopping power unless your on the salt flats and just want pure speed sure

but think about this on a chevy corvette the brakes are state of the art why because it can go extremely fast in a short distance the brakes have to stop it in so many feet, and they spend ALOT of money on them brakes.

carry a boat anchor with ya and throw it behind you when you want to stop

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

WhenI bought my '83 years ago it had some of the worst brakes I ever used. SS lines and new pads, caliper rebuilds, and a good bleed and I can stop in a hurry to the point of being able to lock 'em up, which isn't always a good thing.;)

Re-build the system this winter and take your time. They will improve.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

thunder1 wrote:
i was thinking about a jardine exhaust, accel coils, and a kn air filter for my 81 gl1100 has anyone tried these upgrades? a guy on youtube says this will make my goldwing super fast
I don't have any experience with the accel coils. The only bike I rode against that had jardines ina spirited ride was unimpressive. Hard to say for sure if it was the other rider or his bike but, it was not keeping up with mine.

As for the K&N filter I do have some first hand knowledge. There is no performance benefit to the K&N as far as the 1100s go. One of our twin '80 Interstates has always had the stock filter. The other a K&N filter was installed in '81. Dad and I ride very similarly and our mileage never varies more than 1/2 to 1 MPG. Sometimes his is better and sometimes mine. Neither bike out performs the other in any way. There is obviously more of a mainenance issue with cleaning and oiling the filter than if you was to just replace with a stock.

I don't believe that it will shorten the life of the engine to any significant degree as long as the filter is treated properly. At least that has been my experience with the K&N.

With over 200k on my 1100, if I would loose the engine tomorrow it would be difficult for anybody to show me it was due to using the K&N since '81. Especially since there are so few of the 1100s around with that type of mileage in the first place.

While I have no intentions of removing the K&N from the 1100 I also have no intention of putting a K&N on my 1800.

Changing the brake lines mayhelp. I would consider doing that myself ifIwasstill riding the 1100. The 1800 only stops about 20 feet shorter than the 1100 from 60 mph.Fade on the 1100 takes a significant toll on the stoppingdistance especially pulling the trailer.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Upgrading the coils on a 1000 is a fair improvement over stock. It idles better but I doubt if it makes more than 1 hp difference. The coils on the 1100 are better than they were on the 1000 so upgrading to Accel or Dyna coils is even less of a performace gain.
An air filter is an air filter. Unless you have a really restrictive air filter the K&N won't make much difference.
The Jardine exhaust has a nice mellow note. Again, not much of a performance gain.
Swapping cams out of a '75-'77 GL1000 is a serious project because the 1000 had a points ignition and the 1100 is electronic. The cam swap would make a difference. I don't have a clue how much of a difference. You'd sacrifice some torque though and with the tall rear gearing and the transmission ratios in the 1100 that might hurt.
I agree with the others too - sometimes you gotta stop.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I got a set of Stainless lines from Lopeha,and added sintered pads up front. Stopping power is vastly improved.Worth every penny of what it cost to upgrade (even with faster rotor wear).

No sense going fast if you cant stop faster.
Ride safe,Todd

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

EBC has slotted rotors...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just so everyone knows I have Ebc full floaters with steel brake lines and a master from a cbr 1000 mine stops so fast that it will put you on the tank if your not carefull

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Just so everyone knows I have Ebc full floaters with steel brake lines and a master from a cbr 1000 mine stops so fast that it will put you on the tank if your not carefull
So, how many feet does that translate into? Say from (60-0) mph?

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
I love my CBR brakes. I tried my CBR master cylinder on my mates Ducati Darmah and boy did it make those Brembo callipers work. I am thinking about an upgrade on the 1100 in the future using CBR callipers as well if I can make it all work.

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts

Performance gains from exhaust and air filter, give me a break. :ROFL:

He probably needed new coils anyway and that would make quite an improvement.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Performance gains from exhaust and air filter, give me a break. :ROFL:

He probably needed new coils anyway and that would make quite an improvement.
Hey Dave, I bet it's my video challenge down in Florida; dawino

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Jardines hummm, he said they will make the bike go faster...Hummm....why would you want to go faster? Hey they look great, I know that much...If you want them , buy them....then give us a review...

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Jardine headers probably not that much of a performance upgrade, but they sure look and sound alot better than stock. I agree that before you worry too much about going faster, you figure out how to stop better!

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
Save your money on Accel coils and buy this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ignition-Coil-4557468-NEW-/130558005496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Dodge|Model:Neon&hash=item1e65dd10f8&vxp=mtr. Get individual wires for it from your local auto parts dealer and screw your current plug boots onto them. I doubt the Jardine and K & N will do much for it and it might become a rejetting nightmare.
No doubt that is probably the best performance gain for the money or even for a lot more money. That and a set of 75-76 GL1000 cams is about the best it is going to get.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.