Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experiance with the graphite core (black fiber core) plug wires for replacements. I have a universal set for automotive that I can make a set from but don't know if they will work? Surely someone has already tried this??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
radio suppression wires. a no --no . weak spark and they won't last.
best wires are the cooper core wires (multi wire) and good resister plug connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
When I did the Neon coil mod I bought some kinda non copper coil wires from the local auto store. They work fine with the original 5K boots.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
When I did the Neon coil mod I bought some kinda non copper coil wires from the local auto store. They work fine with the original 5K boots.

i did not say that they would not work. but i`ll bet you that the stock set up is very hard to beat. i have replaced a connector on mine in 92k miles.
still going strong.
yeah i know some times it`s got to be thinking out side the box due to not finding replacement parts used or new.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
When I added CBR coils, I replaced my plug wires with 7mm solid core wire that I found in bulk at a local parts store.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I have some extra 7mm copper Accel plug wire. Only bad thing is it's bright yellow. Won't show on a Gl1500, but would on the 4 cylinder bikes.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I wouldn't run suppression wire with factory 5K boots. All that resistance will alter the spark.
I use Scosche 8 gauge copper amplifier cable. Very high strand count. Low resistance.
Nothing wrong with 1100 coils IMO. Them coils are a non-issue for performance.

A best modification to consider would be to locate dual clip anode screws for the plug end of the boots, as in the last picture.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
80's KZ1000 screw clips.

The wire is sold as Scosche EFX oxygen-free amplifier battery cable. 8 gauge is larger than all common speaker wire, even the competition stuff.

Mini welding cable is about what it boils down to.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
In '78 I was 10 years old...

Current ignition is:
GL1100 coils w/1.34 ohm ballast @ 85*F
Dyna III trigger and amplifier
Scosche 8ga. EFX wires (ends soldered and drilled)
NGK plug boots with copper-clad steel pins replacing resistors
KZ1000 dual-clip anode screws
NGK D7EA plugs @ .043+/-
...plus some other stuff for 22Kv peak @ idle

Note the first three pics below. GL1100 wires. Honda(?) puts a crazy crimp on the wire during its twisting process. Honda must have approved spec for production. The crimping is not from my cutting of the wire. Nothing about that crimping makes sense to me. No benefit. A process of manufacturing.
Last three pics - 2 showing casing size of Scosche/Factory wire and last showing non-removable anode screw in new NGK boot.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.