Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one thing leads to another... I've been tearing into the bike and keep finding things needing attention. Latest is: I started to solder the 3 yellow wires on the left of the battery. The battery 'cage' was quite rusty and nasty, so I removed it along with the starter relay. I saw the positive battery cable rubber was falling apart and bear wire showing. So I took all that out too. After repainting the battery cage and putting new heavy walled heat shrink on the cable, I put everything back. Problem is I can't figure out how the battery cable routes from the starter relay to the battery. Since putting the heat shrink on, it is much stiffer, but i don't think that should make a difference. Does this cable router behind the metal battery cage or just up and over somehow? I know I should have taken a picture before taking it all apart. I'd love to see a close up picture of how this is supposed to look when routed correctly.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
What I remember when I replaced my cable it runs behind the battery. If you look by the starter I think there was a "tab" that holds the cable in place along the frame also.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are referring to the cable going from the starter to the relay post marked "motor'. That one looks right. The one I'm having problems with is the short one (maybe 5 inches long) going from the "Bat" terminal on the starter relay to the positive side of the battery. The angles just don't seem to line up. Again, the cable is much stiffer since putting new heat shrink on it, but seems it should line up easier. Does the cable route from the relay - behind the battery box somehow? If I just go up and over the battery, it seems the cable will block the hole that the battery cover will pop into.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What model of bike?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my signiture. '82 GL1100 Interstate

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone willing to post a picture of the positive battery cable going from the battery to the connection at the starter relay on an '82 GL1100 Interstate?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you do a forum search on the starter relay you might find a picture or two still in the posts.
I don't have one on hand anymore.
Did you inspect the wire before covering it with shrink tubing? There was a post on a cable that was bad a year ago and had to be replaced. You should just make a new one. Soldier the ends on.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done a search, but no luck in finding a picture. As I had mentioned, I didn't make a mental note of the routing as I took it out. I figured it would be obvious when putting it back, but I was wrong!

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
I've done a search, but no luck in finding a picture. As I had mentioned, I didn't make a mental note of the routing as I took it out. I figured it would be obvious when putting it back, but I was wrong!
BT, If you don't get a picture first, I'll take one for you, but I can't get to it until tomorrow morning. (Bike is three blocks away and we're headed out.)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Pete. I'm stuck in an airport 3000 miles from home anyway and if luck is with me, I may be home tomorrow! I'll look forward to the picture.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi btubb, perhaps this may be of use, or maybe none at all, but connection from my '84 GL1200, and an image of the cables themselves from an 1100 from Google images.
Cheers,
Peter.

Attachments

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
bt,

Here are the pics of either end of the positive battery cable. Note that the connection is near the positive end of the battery. The red cap -- on the shorter of the two battery cables -- goes on the relay, then routes around behind it and up to the battery where the flat end attaches.

Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.