Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
chewy999
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there, got a 1980 GL1100 as a project, had to delay start due to house extension, but have an initial problem. It only fires on three cylinders! I have swapped sparkplugs, and I know there is a spark going to the dodgy cylinder, so I suspect there may be a problem with the carb serving that cylinder. Has anyone any thoughts on that? I have been advised by a mate to get it running before I go to far, and spend to much stripping it down.
Also, I know this is a basic question, but looked all over for confirmation, can anyone explain which carb is no. 1, 2 etc.

Hear from you soon

Chewy

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

right side , sitting on the seat , #1  & #3 . on the left side is #2 & #4.
cylinders are the same as carbs. front to back.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving:heres the plug wire lay out too.

hope this helps some.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

You probably have a clogged idle speed jet. You could try running a tank of seafoam and see if it clears up, otherwise the carbs have to come off to clean that jet. It is pressed in on that year, making it difficult to remove, try cleaning it in place first using a small wire such as a guitar string. I had same issues, bought Randaaks rebuild kit and that put everything in order.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum

If it has sat for some years you will have to clean out the carbs. Also, empty the gas out of the tank and check it for rust and dirt, clean it out. Then change the gas filter before you try to fire it up.

You could also have bad plug wires and spark plug caps, put on new wires and caps.

·
chewy999
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for that guys, was going to strip most of the bike down anyway as it hasn't down many miles in the last two years. Get the tank cleaned out etc. Not seen seafoam in the UK, and was interested in getting the Randaaks kit, but not sure how to sort out the postage method.
The carb in doubt is no. 3
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Could be a plug wire, but you can check for spark with the plug out.

Almost guaranteed that a longtime sitting bike needs a carb cleaning. You'll need some skill to get the likely offending press fit slow jet out of the carb body. Once removed, a nasty carb cleaner will break up the varnish. You need to see light through the orifices and the finest size copper wire can help.

I did not take the carbs totally apart, just the slow and main jets and it ran great later.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I got a 1980 Gl1100 this past summer and cleaned the carbs and installed different coil packs and a bunch of different things and it wouldn't run for crap! Turns out I didn't hook up the new coils to the plug wires in the correct firing order, it sure runs better now.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Could be a plug wire, but you can check for spark with the plug out.
That depends. A weak secondary ignition on any cylinder may appear to fire a plug just fine in the open atmosphere laying on the cylinder head, but once in the cylinder and under pressure, andsurrounded by atomized fuel it may not fire strong enough to ignite the mixture, or fireat all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.