Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1982 GL1100 that when the coolant temperature just gets off the 'cold' mark, coolant leaks from the radiator cap. I've cleaned the radiator cap mounting area and installed a new cap. It does the same. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the hose from the radiator to the overflow container? It could be a bad hose or clamp.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the tip, it put me in the right direction. The problem is the cap sealing surface on the radiator. After very careful inspection i noticed a couple of raised areas. When i blow down the overflow pipe i can hear air coming out under the cap. With a little downwards pressure on the cap in the general area of the raised areas the air leak stops.

I have already bought a replacement radiator from ebay, hopefully it will be better.

Once again, thanks for pointing me in this direction.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A Stant 10229 from any local parts store would've fixed it in a hurry. No waiting for an ebay part to arrive that probably cost more.

Check out the tips page for more parts that work as well as the OEM parts.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/GoldwingTips.htm

OOPs, my bad, you ordered a radiator, not a cap.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

mine does tend to leak too, but primarily due to i have the switch on the fan connected. but soon i'll get the temp switch reconnected. also i'm going to get a new radiator cap from the dealer, a whopping $16 but well worth it, this stant one is leaky too ... lame...

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Mr. Mcgowen, Hello from a fellow winger here in Salt Lake. Sandy actually. If I may be of assistance, dont hesitate to E- mail me and I'll do what I can to help out !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.