Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all! Am new to this. We have a GL1100 that my bf inherited from his grandfather. Everything works great except the radio. My bf had bid for one on ebay that he found but he didn't get it. Now I want to get him one for Christmas.

What do I need to know / look for? Do I have to go with an 'original' model radio to the 1100 that has the radio & cassette? Or is it possible to upgrade to one that's made today with latest technology?

Any help is appreciated!
alisa
:waving:

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

i am surprised that no one has told you yet, but i am going to say it first. sierra electronics. apparently, you can send them your radio and they can fix it if it is fixable. i would wait for someone to come along and tell you the contact info, or you could google it. talk to someone at sierra and they will be able to help you. i think they can even put an aux input in it for you. hang out a while and i am sure you will get the answer you are looking for. this is a great forum with great people who are all willing to help. if you didnt want to go stock thenyou could put in an aftermarket one. check out the stock option first. someitmes i wish i would have. good luck!

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

First, is this an original Honda installed radio/cassette or did someone install an aftermarket one. If it is an aftermarket, any stereo would work.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Well first of all WELCOME to the forum...

I am assuming that it is the original Honda supplied radio, but even then there are two versions that were used (Type I and Type II Clarion). You won't be able to buy "new" replacements but Sierra Electronics can repair either of these (as already mentioned)..

Also you may wnat to consider other options like the J&M aftermarket radios (they are new) that are made specifically for motorcycles. They can be obtained with intercom and CB features as well.. Sierra can provide these as well.. (as can many other vendors)... This option is not "cheap" but is waterproof and made to install on motorcycles.

J&M Radioor maybe something like THIS

Just a heads up old-timer advice... It is really nice that you want to get him something that he will appreciate, but for something that "bolts" onto the bike,it would be better if he were "in-on-the-deal"

You might better both head to themotorcycle super-store and buysomething and then take a few (or more)rides with him... in my opinion that would scoreMAJOR points.... just saying???

Or re-reading your profile.. maybe you are a rider too (GL1000) and allabove is presumptious..

but again welcome!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

If it's a Cycle Sound system or any other aftermarket then you can probably go with any type of replacement. I'd suggest CD with input jacks for an MP3 device.

If it's a Hondaline radio then there will probably be some fabrication work that needs to be done in order to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK, sounds like I need to do some more investigating. Yes, I ride with him whenever possible but he also uses the bike to/from work. Obviously, sending in to Sierra will require him removing the radio which eliminates the surprise avenue. Although, from the comments, I may be better off eliminating the surprise aspect. Hmmmm........the bike is in the garage and he's not home. Let me see what can find out. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
imported post

I am working on an 82 Asp. Radio as well. I am finding out all kinds of information and have been having a blast putting together a complete CB, Intercom Clarion system on including helmets and headsets.
I'm in the middle of a parts search and plan on including a tie in for my Iphone and Ipod. Getting a handlebar doc and FM Antenna tie in. I want to include ipod output to helmet headsets so phone calls, CB communication, passanger communication can all occur.
My problem is finding all the parts I need...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving:here's a couple pics of the radio types for the hondaline accs. radio.

this is a type 1 early series (80-81 )

this is a pic of the full feature type 11 (82-83 )

hope this helps some. these pics are of the control heads only .

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
imported post

As for Serria, I have found the repairs to be pretty straight forward on the commponents. I just finished replacing all the Tactile switches (eight buttons) on my radio controller for $5 and a bit of soldering.

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
581 Posts
imported post

contact Sierra electronics at 1-800-3386938 in Troy Ohio
They do great work on these antiques. If it ain't broke they do not charge you. If it is broke they fix it at a very reasonable rate.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Don't get confused about what is what. The picture wda-83wing posted for the type II isn't the radio, its the controller. I have an 83 ASPY and the radio is actually under the right side fairing pocket. I don't know about the I'state models or other years. Have you checked the fuses? There are four or five under the false tank and several in the wiring harness behind the left turn signal.

LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i posted those pics to help ID the type radio he has. maybe i should have also said that these were pics of the control panels only. i`ll go back and see if i can still edit. yep--- done.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Also they are no longer repairing the type 1 radios anymore, just the type 2's.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I actually have the Type 1 on my 81.. And it works fine.
However I did install a Marine (Say Boat) AM/FM/CD with remote....
It is Marine so it is designed for bumps and rough rides..
Installation Standing on end ok.. Mostly water resistant..
I mounted the unit in the left saddle bag...Wired directly into the original speakers.. Mounted the remote to left handlebar with velcro.. Works Great.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

Actually ther e are several parts to that radio up in the fairing lots of cables and junction box and amplifier at least more if CB too. Before you give up on that radio check all teh connections and definitelty the fuses. Those fusess are behind th eleft turnsignal and hard to find all sometimes. Age and corrosion gets them a lot. mine went from not working to just fine after I cleaned all the fuse holders and replaced the fuses. Did have to clean a few cable connections to get intercom working though

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

sunshinealisa wrote:
Hi all! Am new to this. We have a GL1100 that my bf inherited from his grandfather. Everything works great except the radio. My bf had bid for one on ebay that he found but he didn't get it. Now I want to get him one for Christmas.

What do I need to know / look for? Do I have to go with an 'original' model radio to the 1100 that has the radio & cassette? Or is it possible to upgrade to one that's made today with latest technology?

Any help is appreciated!
alisa
:waving:

Before you replace the non-working radio, are you sure it's no good? Have you checked the fuses? There are a total of 7 if I remember correctly. Also, is it doing anything? Any lights digital readout when you turn it on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.