Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

It's been 7 months and who knows how many hundreds (or thousands) of miles I've put on my bike since I rebuilt all my calipers, including the rear. The bike has been sitting for about three weeks or more now while I worked on other body work stuff. Today I took her out for a little spin, and at first I heard the rear wheel groan a bit, but it went away with a tap of the brake so I chalked it up to being a tad sticky due to being idle. But when I took her out for a mile or two run today, as soon as I got back home I couldn't back her into the garage because the rear caliper was locked. Here were the symptoms:

1. The caliper/pistons were locked on the rotor.
  2. The rear pedal seemed stuck.
  3. Once I checked the pedal linkage to the rear master cylinder (because I lost the pin a few months back and had to replace the link pin), I decided to just sort of "stomp" on the pedal.
  4. Then, the brake released and now seems okay.
My question is this - was this probably just due to sitting idle, or do I need to worry?

Brake gurus....unite! :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

During your brake rebuild did you open the bleeder at the caliper and drain the fluid as you were pushing the pistons back in to facillitate removal, or just (as most do) push the pistons back into the calipersallowing the brake fluid to back up into the lines and M/C.

Sounds like you've got some crud in the small passages in the master cylinder that don't allow the pressure to bleed off after you stop appling the brakes.

If this is the case, use your wifes favorite turkey baster (ask her) and remove all the fluid from themaster cylinder, clean any crud out with a rag, refill the master cylinder with brake fluid and bleed until clean fluid comes out of the bleeder.

Then buy your wife a new turkey baster.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Jack, you can easily rule out the brake pedal by disconnecting it first and seeing if the wheel will turn. If it's still stuck then it's a strip and clean for the rear calliper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.