Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, here is the deal! I took my bike for a ride for the first time and I still can’t get the smile off my face. Even the wife tried scrubbing and “SHE” can’t get it off. (Don’t read too much into that;)). I have no rear brake… What/where is the best place to get a master cylinder or kit to rebuild the brake? I also need to fix/rebuild caliper. Thanks for your help, Ray…

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You can get the caliper seals here.

http://www.hdlparts.com/

M/C rebuild kits can be found on Ebay for a pretty good price.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Whatever you do, don't get your kits from a shady dealer in Missouri.

Also, make sure you specify what year bike you have, the brake system almost changed from year to year. From the color, looks like maybe an '82?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

What year is your bike? If its an 83 then you have linked brakes, pre 83 unlinked. On the linked systems the foot pedal will operate the rear caliper and one of the fronts, the left on I think. Between the master cylinder and the rear caliper is a proportioning valve. When I got my 83 the valve wasn't allowing fluid through. I had to open the bleeder screw and pump it for a while to get a flow. Sucking the fluid through with a Mighty Vac also helps. You might also want to disconnect the hose to the back caliper to see if its blocked. LOL!

I don't really like the aftermarket kits. I get OEM from BikeBandit.com or MRCycles.com. If you've got a local shop you like and they sell Parts Unlimited stuff they can also order OEM's.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I notice from his avatar that it has comstar wheels so it is not an '83 GL1100.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Somtimes if the calipers are simply disassembled and thourghly cleaned,and the fluid changed, the calipers will become operational. I have done this on a CB 750, twice in 16 years. I have now done the same thing on my 76 Wing. On the Wing, I had to use the rear brake a few times, 3 or 4 times, before it began functioning properly. Tired Rider you're local. I'll send you a PM with my number. Maybe we can get together for coffee or a soda. Terry

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the help guys. Silicon Sam was correct, it's a 1982. Got your PM terry and I'll get back to you. I appreciate everyones time. Ray...

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey Tired rider you told us that you have no rear brake bt you didnt state exactly what was happeing. No pedal pedal but no slowing. spongy pedal???

A pic of the caliper will be awesome. I am sure many of us here can tell if the rebuild is needed by a pic.

LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.