Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
82 GL1100
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy.
After all the work I've put into her over the last couple of years, I figured I'd throw a few miles on her and took her from Ft. Collins, CO. to Austin, TX. yesterday 馃槃
Didn't bother to turn the radio on, the purrr of her engine was sweet sweet music!
Developed an oil leak though. Seems to be from the rear of the engine.
Anyone know the possible spots that might occur? I don't have my manual with me.
Kinda looks like it might be coming from the boot where the drive joins up to the tranny.
Thoughts?
Kelly

Administrator
Could be, also could be from the final drive, check the oil in it first.

Premium Member
howdy.
After all the work I've put into her over the last couple of years, I figured I'd throw a few miles on her and took her from Ft. Collins, CO. to Austin, TX. yesterday 馃槃
Didn't bother to turn the radio on, the purrr of her engine was sweet sweet music!
Developed an oil leak though. Seems to be from the rear of the engine.
Anyone know the possible spots that might occur? I don't have my manual with me.
Kinda looks like it might be coming from the boot where the drive joins up to the tranny.
Thoughts?
Kelly
Are you sure the leak is at the back of the engine? Fairly unusual to get a leak in the output shaft assy. What i`d do is pressure wash the bottom of the motor from front to back , thats oil filter cover to clutch cover. Then with the bike on the center stand and the motor running, you can check to see if its a pressure leak. Did you do a oil change with filter before the trip?, check the drain and cover bolts and gasket. Let us know what you find.

Registered
82 GL1100
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a big seal under the boot
Thanks.
Are you sure the leak is at the back of the engine? Fairly unusual to get a leak in the output shaft assy. What i`d do is pressure wash the bottom of the motor from front to back , thats oil filter cover to clutch cover. Then with the bike on the center stand and the motor running, you can check to see if its a pressure leak. Did you do a oil change with filter before the trip?, check the drain and cover bolts and gasket. Let us know what you find.
Thanks. No, not sure at all. I'll do that this afternoon. You're right, the passing air blows that stuff everywhere so it's easy to confuse the origin of the leak with where it's accumulating i bet.

Administrator
A common leak is at the tachometer cable under the fuel pump.

Administrator
Reactions: kelly.trosper

Registered
82 GL1100
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned her off good and let her idle on the center stand. Definitely seems to be coming from under that boot. Output shaft seal, eh? Thanks all.

Administrator
Cleaned her off good and let her idle on the center stand. Definitely seems to be coming from under that boot. Output shaft seal, eh? Thanks all.
If it's leaking there at idle it's either way overfull of oil or the crankcase vent is plugged.

Reactions: kelly.trosper

Administrator
Take the air filter out, start the engine and you should feel puffs of air from the hole in the bottom on the left rear. If not check the hose that goes to the engine. It could also be too much oil in the rear case meaning the scavenger pump is not working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts