Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1100 rear tire rubbing housing of drive shaft

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  litfuse 
#1 ·
imported post

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY,need help.i have a tire thats rubbing the rear drive housing.it is rubbing where there is a bracket welded to the housing. it is rubbing the tire about 1/4 in in this spot.just enought to mark tire.should i remove tire and grind it smooth my driveshaft where its touching my tire. on the center stand it touches the tire very little,but on the side stand ,there is very little gap between shaft and tire.what do ya'll think? hope you can help me.hoghideman happy new year for 2012:?

#5 ·
imported post

I had a similar issue with a Conti tire. The tire was new when I bought my 1100 (1994) and did not rub, but within a few thousand miles the tire went from slightly touching to a nasty rub. The only way for this to have happened was for the tire to grow. Stock pressure, junk tire. I installed a Dunlop and in 20K miles never had it happen again.

Bill

#8 ·
imported post

i know its been posted here before that some tires just dont work on certian bikes

i'd check the tire for a broken belt or something 1st and go from there before you get carried away checking the swing arm assembly and all that start with the basic 1st step and go from there

#9 ·
imported post

If the swingarm is in good shape except for a small rust bubble that is rubbing,
then grind it down and put some paint over the spot. Even a small hole can be filled
with JB weld or similar, then sanded over and painted. If the rust has gotten to deep then its time for a new swingarm.
Even with a new swingarm and new tire there will only be about 1/4 inches of clearance. Good Luck

#10 ·
imported post

Put your bike on center stand so that rear tire is clear of ground.
next set can next to the tire,slowly spin full revolution and look for out of round. Do the same for the tread. Check for loose bolts on the rear end where it bolts to drive shaft housing [I have known myself to leave them loose installing new tires].

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.