Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey,

I took the trike out for a test drive after putting on the new starter motor and it died on me.
Worked out it was electrical so did a step by step clean and try to start on all connections which didn't work then fittedt a spare rectifier and it started.
What I want to know is, is there anyway of bench testing the rectifier just to make sure that was my problem

Cheers
Bo

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Bo, the starter circuit has a diode in it although you should be able to start the bike whether it is good or not by pulling in the clutch lever. This diode allows the starter to work when in neutral without pulling in the clutch. Simple bench check with VOM, it shoud conduct in one direction but not in the other.

The bike has a rectifier also but it is part of the charging circuit and doesn't affect the starter. Although you may have disturbed another wire someplace that made the starter work.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry didn't make myself clear the bike was spinning but didn't have a spark. Had the problem previously that I couldn't fix and got a mechanic out to fix it.
He pulled all the connectors squirted them and put them back together and after some fiddling it started but I had no idea the cause.
This time I took apart and cleaned each one and tried to start after each connection. With no luck, Last resort was swapping in a spare rectifier/regulator and I got a spark and started.

Just for peace of mind and taking it out further from home I'd like to be able to test the suspect rectifier and confirm it was duff
cheers

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Rectifier is part of the charging circuit. The ignition circuit is where the problem is if you have no spark. Good guess would be the "Kill Switch" or the ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the diagram
My first thoughts were the kill switch or ignition switch, so a lot of toggling went on.
After that the kill switch was left on.
Once I swapped out the rectifier she started every time and that was the only change I made which is why I want to try and test it to discount it as the cause. If it is then I can ride with confidence or go back to taking apart all the connections again

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,743 Posts
imported post

There is a main ignition line in the plug next to the regulator plug. Is it possible you are bumping a loose connection in that plug as you fiddle with the rectifier?

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

It will start and run without a regulator plugged into it, that was not the problem.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Dave, I hate intermittent problems, No trips farther than I can push it back for a while then

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

Pull and twist on the harness where it goes by the steering head with the engine running and see if you can make it die.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dave I tried the pull and twist and it still ran, took her out for 6 miles and still good.
I know the regulator shouldn't have anything to do with it but I'm gonna stick the old one back on and see if it fails to start again.
At least it's running and on the plus side the speedo started to work again, no speeding tickets for me

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

Could be some weird electrical gremlin with the regulator when the moon is right and you put your tongue in your ear caused it to die, stranger things have happened but it for sure had nothing to do with the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

For sure on the speedo, that just seems to want to job share with the fuel guage.
Tinkering with the old girls problems doesn't feel so bad when I see a brand new bike or car being trailered home at least she's got an excuse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.