Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I loosed and hung the disk brake assemblys, but was unable to separate them from the forks and now the front wheel is hung up and will not drop - how do I separate the brake assembley from the fork? I removed the 2 bolts, but they will not drop? I am using the Clymers and the non-Honda "other manual" (??) and neither address it (or I have not found it) - anyone have an idea?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Ha! I know this one!

I had the same problem on my 83 1100. What you have to do is this - you need the front wheel off the ground (put on center stand, have someone sit on rear of bike, wedge a block or jackstand under front of frame if you don't have a bike jack). So, you remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support them with wire so the hoses don't kink up. I know the manuals don't say to remove the calipers, but trust me, you need to. Now, remove the bracket bolts, top and bottom.

Now that the bolts are out, you need to rotate the wheel so that you can push the bracket assembly toward it, and aim for a space between the spokes.

At least, that's how *I* had to do it. Stupid caliper brackets.... :)

Jack (I'm no guru yet, but I've done enough stupid things to learn from that maybe I'm on my way)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

See if this sounds right -

remove the calibers and the mounting brackets, right?

My problem is removing the bracket. Do I have to drive it our? Wiggleit to get it off of the fork? This is what's stumping me. As you mentioned, the bracket is keeping the wheel up. ANy ideas?

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Jeffrey. If the speedo drive has already popped out and the brackets are loose then it should all fall out together. Does your bike have a fatter than normal tyre? If so, you may have to let the air out first as it will be a tight squeeze.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Do you have the fancy chrome rotor covers? If yes, there is a notch cut in the rotor cover that you need to pry away from the for a little bit with a crow bar or something.

If you don't have the chrome rotor covers...nevermind....just get them brake calipers out of the way...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi Jeff,

Oh, maybe I missed that part of your post. Yes, those brackets, if not removed in the last 10 years or more, will be stubborn. The place where they mount at the top is especially hard - just start by "swinging" the bracket front to back while pushing toward the wheel. It should slowly work itself out. You really shouldn't have to drive them out. When you go to put them back in, I highly recommend putting a thin layer of Moly 60 paste on that top mount where it goes into the fork, as well as all you slider pins. The paste is about $9 a tube, but you only use the thinnest film on parts so it lasts a long time. If you have any more questions, ask - my bike is apart right now (forks and all) so I can even take photos of the bits I'm talking about.

Jack

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I got the brackets off last night. The hardest part was getting enough clearance on the inside between the bracket and the rim so I could get enough travel/clearance to pull the bracket out. But, finally...:DThe "rock it back and forth" did loosen everything. Is the Moly 60 a common auto supply lubricant?

I hope I can get everything to fit when I reassemble - YIKES!

THANKS!

Jeff

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A tube of Moly grease is obtainable at most auto stores.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
A tube of Moly grease is obtainable at most auto stores.

Not sure where you are, exavid, but in my area every single auto shop gave me a look like I was looking for green moon cheese. Had to finally make a small jaunt to the Honda shop and pay the $9. :(

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My local Autozone had a canister of a combination lithium/Moly grease that I picked up for about $3.00 US. I wouldn't use it on the splines(OEM MOLY60 formy scoot)but for what we're looking at here, it would probably work fine.

Hobie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.