Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all. I am currently restoring my '83 GL1100; a l-o-n-g term project. I was chatting with a chapwith a GL1000 on the VJMCC stand at the recent Bristol Classic Show. He told me that he thought someone has produced a replacement part for the removable section of frame that often has a rust problem on the older Wings.

Is this true?

If so does anyone know who makes it and if it's any good?

By the way, what a difference it makes now the sun has come out!:)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Isn't that the part the side-stand bolts to? I don't recall anyone ever mass-producing aftermarket rails, but plenty of guys had one-offs made cheaper than buying a new one from Mother H.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Maybe there is someone on that side of the Pond but I have never heard about it over here. Most of us just get some soft flat stock and shape it to the pipe and weld it up.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I'm sure it would be readily available at a bike breaker's

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rusted out subframes aren't a big problem inmost of the US. Here's one on eBay that's claimed to be in good shape and the seller will ship overseas.

Subframe

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i know someone in huddersfield that hasthe frame sections made out of stainless steel, i'll pm you with his phone number and you can talk to him hiself

pm sent

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Rusted out subframes aren't a big problem inmost of the US. Here's one on eBay that's claimed to be in good shape and the seller will ship overseas.

Subframe
exavid

You have not dealt with many bikes from the North East obviously:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I have gotten 2 bikes from New York that you could push pencils through the sub frame. I think the spring salty roads and the long winter (Parked period) is a deadly combination for bikes.I really think the leading causefor this is sitting outside on the side stand and allowing water to collect inside the tube. On my Father's original 78 the center stand was about ready to fall off from rust (from the salty roads in Buffalo)but the subframe is as solid as the day it was made. That bikewas never outside over night at home and when on a road trip he covered it religiously.

Interestingly enough a couple of years ago I purchased a sub frameon Ebay from a bike Breaker in Arizona. Thinking that coming from that dry environment the frame section should be in "like new" condition. I was very dis-appointed. I am not sure what it is but there has to be a common factor and the only thingI can come up with is side stand use in the rain?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I said "most of the US". The largest part of the country doesn't have serious rust problem. I've had quite a few 'Wings through my Tacoma shop (sure miss that) and didn't see any serious rust problem on any. I did have some frame rust on my 1100 hangar queen but that was on the thin web around the swing arm pivot. I had to replace some small pieces of that. But I haven't run across much problem in sub frames. I sold two of them that came off bikes that had been left outside for years that were still solid. I wouldn't want a bike that had spent much time in SE Alaska because of its maritime environment, incessant rain and months of salted roads, but most of the country doesn't have this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.