Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
There are a few existing threads on this. Some owners have successfully used rope stuffed into the spark plug hole to stop the valves dropping when the springs are removed. At least on thread shows a home made tool in action that does the same thing.

·
1,830 Posts
I havent tried this on an 1100 yet , but on many other engines , i have used my air compressor to pressurice the cylinder/head through the sparkplug hole . This pressure (around 10 bars) "holds" the valves while you are working .

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I havent tried this on an 1100 yet , but on many other engines , i have used my air compressor to pressurice the cylinder/head through the sparkplug hole . This pressure (around 10 bars) "holds" the valves while you are working .
Perhaps you misplaced a decimal and meant one bar?:?
Unless you're Magilla Gorilla you'll not be holding a piston on TDC, which is where it needs to be with that method, at 145 PSI air pressure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've used the rope method several times on small engines including 1100s. It's simple especially if you don't have a compressor. All it takes is some 1/4" nylon or poly line to feed into the cylinder with the piston at the bottom of the exhaust stroke. Then turn the crankshaft so the piston pushes upward against the rope which will hold the valves up. It doesn't take much rope with an interference engine as these are. One way to keep the piston against the rope is to have the bike in gear and pull the rear wheel to bring up the piston, then tie or weight down the brake pedal.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Perhaps you misplaced a decimal and meant one bar?:?
Unless you're Magilla Gorilla you'll not be holding a piston on TDC, which is where it needs to be with that method, at 145 PSI air pressure.

As long as you have all the rocker arms off so all the valves are closed it doesn't matter where the piston is using that method. Use as much pressure as you want. 10 bar is more than necessary but I have done it using whatever shop air pressure was.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As long as you have all the rocker arms off so all the valves are closed it doesn't matter where the piston is using that method. Use as much pressure as you want. 10 bar is more than necessary but I have done it using whatever shop air pressure was.
You're correct.
I was thinking leak down testing on L-heads which I've done hundreds of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.