Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,I NEED TO REPLACE MY VALVE GUIDE SEALS IN MY 1983 GL 1100 GOLDWING.IS THERE ANY TRICKS I NEED TO KNOW?I G:DUESS I NEED A VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR TOOL. MINE MUST BE TOTAL WORN OUT. MIGHT AS WELL ADJUST VALVES WHILE I'M AT IT. COULD ANY OF YOU GOLDWINGERS GIVE ME SOME POINTERS. THANKS HOGHIDEMAN

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You can do it with the heads still in place. Some members here have stuffed rope into the cylinders so the valves don't drop when they take the springs off.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I seem to remember that one of the forum members here made a tool that keeps the valves in position when changing the seals.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

watch THOSE LITTLER KEEPERS THEY ARE SMALL AND EASILY LOST, rope trick or compressed air works to keep valves up,

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

If you are changing stem seals then you will be removing timing belts. Compressed air or rope isn't necessary. Once timing marks are aligned, the forward two pistons will be at top so their valves will be unable to fall into cylinder-they will be stopped from doing so by the piston.
Once timing belts are removed and BOTH cam assemblies are removed all the valves will be in up position. Change the valve seals on the 2 forward cylinders then simply rotate crankshaft BY HAND 1 revolution till the2rear pistons are at top and change the rear cylinder stem seals.
Again very important to note that both cam assemblies need to be removed before turning crankshaft so that accidental contact with the pistons does not occur.
Be SURE to note the timing mark on the crankshaft so that everything re-aligns when installing timing belts. Remember that crankshaft rotates twice for each cam rotation. Lastly very important to only turn engine over after belts are re-installed by hand several times to be sure nothing is going to be damaged.
The best idea is to purchase the correct tool to compress spring. I used a piece of metal unistrut and a wrench as a home-made spring compressor after getting the idea on this site. Important to note though, as another member pointed out, that it is possible to bend a valve doing it this way if too much side pressure is applied...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I bought a small valve compressor on ebay and used compressed air to keep the valves in place. The hardest part was keeping track of the keepers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.