Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok so here is another question from the new rider. So my gas milage still is not great and a freind of mine said I may be babying the engine to much. So what is the recommned in your opion revs you should average with your gl1100. It is an odd question sorry just want to make sure i am not babying the machine as I know going to low in revs is just as bad as over rieving.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I usually shift at around 2800-3000 rpms. Depending what gear and what the speed limit is, I try to stay at 2500 or higher to keep charging the battery.,,,

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I normally shift around 3500 but higher sometimes in the lower gears to blow the carbs out a little bit.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Cody in MN wrote:
Mine likes it above 3000 rpms & I am not afraid to approach redline at all ... :action:
+1

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

bisitik wrote:
Ok so here is another question from the new rider. So my gas milage still is not great and a freind of mine said I may be babying the engine to much. So what is the recommned in your opion revs you should average with your gl1100. It is an odd question sorry just want to make sure i am not babying the machine as I know going to low in revs is just as bad as over rieving.

Please let me know what you think.
What's your gas milage?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

I shift my 80 1100 at or about 4 grand... I will shift quicker on straights or downhills and I get an AVERAGE of around 42 MPG most of the time.

If i run speeds above 65 for more than a short period milaghedrops a lot

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

AspectOne wrote:
I shift my 80 1100 at or about 4 grand... I will shift quicker on straights or downhills and I get an AVERAGE of around 42 MPG most of the time.

If i run speeds above 65 for more than a short period milaghedrops a lot
But isn't that impossible? Below 65I mean. :shock::action::D

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

As far as shifting goes, it all depends on grade or traffic for me. A steeper grade or needing to get going and I let it run out a little further, say around 3500 to 4500 RPM. If I'm heading downhill or not in any hurry, I'll change gears at around 2500 or so. Also, the bike is most happy at 60-68 mph running right at 4000. Great throttle response and getting a happy 39-42 mpg in all conditions regardless of how I shift it really. Bike is an 82 GL1100I.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
4500rpm , redline, I'm amazed I can't push mine that fast
Not to get off subject but I really like your trike setup. I'd love to know what parts you used for it and more details about the process and steps you took to do it. Looks really good in that red color scheme too!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

gl1100ryder wrote:
As far as shifting goes, it all depends on grade or traffic for me. A steeper grade or needing to get going and I let it run out a little further, say around 3500 to 4500 RPM. If I'm heading downhill or not in any hurry, I'll change gears at around 2500 or so. Also, the bike is most happy at 60-68 mph running right at 4000. Great throttle response and getting a happy 39-42 mpg in all conditions regardless of how I shift it really. Bike is an 82 GL1100I.
I've got a 81 GL1100I and I run exactly the same. normal shift.. 3k to 4k.. have a hard time at lower rpms as it feels that i am always shifting! in a pinch you can get over 60 in second gear... got to hang on tight tho! :shock: my only problem with any of the gears is if i am more than 3500 going to second gear it grinds a bit. so i try to shift into second rather low. other than that... i shift around 4500

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

My '82 1100i likes it best between 3,800 - 4,200 rpm in any gear, but I have run all day at 5,000-5,500 rpm on long trips over the interstate. I generally shift up between 4,500 - 5,000 rpm, and shift down if I get to 3,000 rpm. I take itupclose to redline at least once every timeI am out with it. I generally get 40-42 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

These Honda's are probably overengineered. If the tach redlines start at 8000, you can probably do 8000, no problem.

Unless the motor has bigger carbs and hot cams, there is no more power at higher rpms.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I love my GL1100....but I wish it had another gear
When you are used to a Velocette which plonks every other lamp post it is difficult to get used to something which will go from 30mph in top to over 100mph with ease....takes a little getting used to seeing the rev counter approaching 7k.....but heyho it still does 45mpg and its fun
I haven't tried running conservatively yet but assume that it should do more than 45 if I play it cool and change gear about 2ish and max at 65mph

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

man, I drive like an old lady compared to you guys. Iv'e never run mine up to 8k, only to about 6.5. I like to take in the scenery and listen to the hum of the motor. Unlike the Harley where I run it like I stole it, and when it stops making noise I have to check to see if something fell off.But either way I get between 41-43 with the wing and 40 with the Harley.fwiwtu.,,

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

8 grand won't hurt the bike. I've found the 1100 to be underpowered for the application and needs at least 3-4k for anything to happen.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

chris in va........I agree....once you hit 3k in top it just wants to go.........and boy does it go
Gives some of these superbike riders a shock when they don't run away from you as quick as they expect

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i shift mine around 4000 or so let the motor work alittle doggin it isnt good for it if your on a grade you will lug the motor and if you shift too soon your rpms will drop to a stall

i run my gears up to 4grand so if i need to get out of the way in town i have the throttle snap to do it if you shift early you have no power these 1100's have power at HIGH rpm's harlys have their max power at 3500 rpms i put in a question to ASK.COM and asked how many horse power a 1980 honda goldwing has 83 horsepower at 7500 rmps
its max speed is 120mph but ive never tried it
it can to from 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds but im not a street racer
this is the link i dont know how to insert it as a click and go but just copy and paste

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=horsepower...ecspictures/honda/gl_1100_gold_wing-1980.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.