Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sprung a leak along the bottom weld of my right side exhaust header, I think i've got it fixed with this pookie I bought from Autozone, fingers crossed! But.

From what I've seen it would appear that this is an inherent problem, as all the good pipes for sale on ebay are left side and all the right side pipes seem to have a similar or worse problem, maybe it's just a coincidence.

Has anyone else had this go down?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
More than likely the left insides of the pipes get a light coating of oil from sitting on the side stand over time, and are better protected from internal rust because of it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I've seen it on a local bike at a condo at the beach here where ambient air is salt ladden in lots of marine layer fog. Even covered all the time his chrome rusts faster than mine 2 miles inland. He put some muffler epoxy in the holes for a quick trip he had to make and then we found some replacement pipes.

The none chrome header parts need to be painted with high heat header paint to protect the headers.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I've just replaced the left on my 81. Totally rusted out. Maybe this particular bike is from Australia, so it rusted on the other side...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Ok, new right-side question related to exhaust. On start-up, (which is quick every time- absolutely no issues starting) the engine blows a lot of smoke, right-side muffler only. Really smells like oil. Once its warmed up, the exhaust is clear, doesn't smell heavily of oil, no issues. Just seems to blow big clouds upon the first start-up, especially after sitting for a couple of days. Additionally information, cylinder one has compression of 150, cylinder three has compression of 115. Two and four are 150 and 100, respectively. No smoke coming from the left side, whatsoever. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
That will be hardened valve stem seals on that side SW. It's very common on old Goldwings, you will find lots and lots of threads here about that issue. It isn't too big a deal once the smoke clears after a while.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
if that is your actual compression its time to look for a new engine

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Talked to one of my welders today, and he's going to TIG weld the holes for me. Probably more difficult than pookie, but its a better long-term solution. The hardened valve stem seals concern me. Tmorrow I'll fire it up, and recheck the compression. Those original numbers were before I had gotten it started, shortly after I had found it in the barn.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, that thin tig wire I believe is the way to go, I also have got one of the welders at work to look at it and as soon as it get's too hot to ride around here i'm gonna take it off and get it over to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.