Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

if the left side timing belt is one tooth out would the bike run? I replaced belts a while back in the restoration. although the engine starts and runs, it's only running on the 2 right hand cylinders. at the time i wasnt too worried as i thought carburation would be the issue and planned to deposit the bike in my local bike shop for tuning anyway. that time is here now. both left hand cylinders are not firing at low revs but seemti to be firing at higher revs, seem to be! rough at tickover but pulling well when above 2-3k. mechanic is looking at carbs. they were actually fairly well balanced, good compression all round,(all 4 roughly equal), good spark, there is fuel getting to plug. just not firing well. i appreciate that if timing belts were a few teeth out it would be disastrous, but would it run if only say 1 tooth out? your experience welcome. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yes it will run being out 1 tooth off. but not like it should . in the rpm range you give. it is off the idle jets and on the mains. so i would guess the idle jets are pluged on the one side(left).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Also at idle it is at it's leanest, requiring higher voltage from the coils to fire the fuel/air mixture. you could have a coil problem. Take the time to rule it in or out.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,641 Posts
imported post

When mine was one tooth off, it ran fairly well, but not right. And sounded like a helicopter.
You say left side. Is that as you sit on the bike? The right belt is the one that is hard to install.
Coil would affect front or rear cylinders.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Left hand cylinders as you sit on bike. I've gave as much info as I can to mechanic. He's got the carbs apart to check jets and air cut-off valves. All seems good so far. I think his plan is to give everything a blast in the ultrasonic cleaner whilst they're off bike anyway.

I've suggested checking the belts or the TDC of each cylinder just in case I have cocked it up. It would be a shame if he's pulled the carbs apart and to turn out it was my stupidity....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.