Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a GL1100 83 Aspy. He's had some issues with it running correctly, rebuilt carbs, filters, etc. It still just quits on him every once in a while. He's thinking since the PO didnt ride much and now its getting ridden all the time, rust may be clogging the lines/filters/carbs etc. Any good methods to get rid of the rust? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I recently (two weeks ago) de-rusted the tank on my '78 GL1000 with EvapoRust. It is non-toxic and works very well. There are other methods (electrolysis, phosphoric acid, etc.), but EvapoRust is the safest and easiest method I found. It is available at HF for $23.00/gallan (after using the 20% coupon).

·
Registered
33 Posts
My question is this. Has he seen any evidence of rust in the tank or is it an assumption that this is the issue? To take care of the tank, as in derusting it, cannot hurt anything, but if it isn't the problem, why do it. I'd make sure that the inside of the tank is rusted first, rather than assuming that it is the problem.

One reason why I'm skeptical about this being the problem is that it is an intermittent problem and "once in a while" at that. One would think that if rust pieces are breaking off and travelling through the fuel system that there would be more frequent issues and complete fuel blockages. My thoughts are that there is another possible carb issue going on, one less serious, but in need of attention. It may well just be something is just a tick out of adjustment.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I agree with wjnGL1000. You need to be sure rust is the problem first. Open the float bowl drain screws and have a look at the petrol that comes out, for signs of rust and dirt.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
The least expensive way, if you have a battery charger is electrostatic. Do not Kreem the tank when done as the Kreem will block the screens,

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the carbs go, he's rebuilt all four of them. And it runs really strong throughout the RPM range, idles good, etc. It's like you just reach up and hit the key, then it will just crank.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As far as the carbs go, he's rebuilt all four of them. And it runs really strong throughout the RPM range, idles good, etc. It's like you just reach up and hit the key, then it will just crank.
It sounds more like an issue with the ignition or kill switch rather than the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It sounds more like an issue with the ignition or kill switch rather than the fuel system.
Ditto. I would be looking at an electrical problem as the first suspect, with the kill switch being at the top of the list. Does he lose anything else electrical related (lights, turn signals, horn, gauges, etc)?
The way it quits suddenly is not consistant with the way it would act with rust in the fuel system. When you say it will just crank after it dies, do you mean it turns over but will not start?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ditto. I would be looking at an electrical problem as the first suspect, with the kill switch being at the top of the list. Does he lose anything else electrical related (lights, turn signals, horn, gauges, etc)?
The way it quits suddenly is not consistant with the way it would act with rust in the fuel system. When you say it will just crank after it dies, do you mean it turns over but will not start?
I didnt ask him about other electrical stuff. I will tomorrow as we both have to work Friday. And yes on the turning over not starting.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Rust in the tank would surely make it sputter a little before dieing, (as if turning off switch). However if she does sputter a little, could be plugged gas cap.
Happy T-Day!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, so far its the gas cap. He pulled the bike apart to be able to look in the tank. Looks good as new, no rust. He took off for a short ride, 70 miles into it it died. He pulled the fuel line and air went rushing into the tank, enough to make it gurgle. Then gas rushed out of the fuel line. He drilled a 1/8" hole in the cap and so far, it hasnt shut down on him. Thanks for the help peeps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.