Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I notice that when cornering my 83 interstate tends to scrape the ground, is it the center stand (or) kick stand?

I notice it scrapes more when cornering left more than to the right.

I don't feel it in my feet so I don't think it is my footpegs.

To aleviate (or) at least minimize the scraping, I can pump up my rear shocks but then the bikes sits too high ( I have short legs - lol ) and the ride is stiff as heck.

Anyone have an idea how to remedy this and keep the bike relatively low to the ground?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I don't think it's your center stand. I have an 84 Aspencade and when I bank the bike hard sometimes the floor boards scrape. Their hinged so you really don't feel it on your feet. Look under the floor boards mine has a small bar under it that's what is scraping. I have a feeling it was engineered that way to let you know not to bank so hard.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Have you checked how much weight that you have in all of the storage??? It might be that you are pressing the limit of the shocks.:coollep:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

My 82 sometimes scrapes on the left turn with wife onboard. It scrapes on the center stand as well

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

It's my understanding that the GL11 had very limited cornering clearance. Honda corrected that in the GL12 by moving the engine up and forward, among other things. Never fear, they un-corrected it when they introduced the GL15, then made it worse by lowering the bike in '96. From what I've read, the 18 loses even more clearance.

Your contact point? Only you can answer that. Get under the bike and have a look. Contact with the road makes easy to see marks.

My first guess, since you said you have footpegs and not floorboards, would be the exhaust system. Probably in the rear, if you don't air the shocks up enough.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I've scrapped the center stand before once when Bagmaster and his lovely wife Linda were showing Tracy and me around their neck of the woods, Linda looked back when it happened and there I was with a sh*@ eatin' grin and Tracy on the back yelling in the intercomm to stop playing around like that:D:cheeky1::D:action:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

thanks for the replies - I guess I'll get down low and take a peek at the newly scraped shiny metal and find what it is scraping.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!! no it's not that bad bro...

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

And is this the reason we've had so many forest fires in BC this year? :)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

That pic was taken on the Dragon! Check to make sure the springs are holding your kick and center stands all the way up. They could be weak.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

on my 1200 i scrape the sides of the Marklin rear bumper. on my 1500 i have beveled the outside edges of my boots...nobody follows me with a camera...darn

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

On my 1100 the driver pegs will scrape first. If I hit a bump while leaning the center stand will bounce down and hit but comes right back up.

Weird if you look at your avatar gif for 5-10 seconds it seems to speed up and slow down.

·
Administrator
27,899 Posts
imported post

You know, if you lean with the bike instead of against it you can corner without scraping so much.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I have an idea of how you can keep the shocks aired up and still sit lower if you are interested. All you have to do is cut the bottom of your seatpan out which will allow you sit almost 2 1/2" lower. I posted about it here while back. it not only lowers your body down, but allows your sitting bones to make proper contact when you sit down as well.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

The one thing I found that usally stops mine from scraping,is a good smack to the back of the head from the wife.......:D:D:D:Dusally works everytime for me..

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
The one thing I found that usally stops mine from scraping,is a good smack to the back of the head from the wife.......:D:D:D:Dusally works everytime for me..
same here!!!:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.