Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1100 and it wont start, it wont even turn over!! Ive been in contact with the guy who did work on her for the last owner (who unfortunately has died) who told me that the problem is probably the "secondary starter" and I need to "clean up the ball bearings under the 4 inch aluminum cap because they are probably jammed as the bike hasnt been started for a while". Ive looked right through the workshop manual and found NOTHING relating to a "secondary starter" but I was also told that this isnt the right name for it but he cant remember what its actually called. From what I managed to glean it attaches to the starter system, rotates only one way and has 3 or 4 little springs inside it.
I need to know what he is actually referring to so that I can get my bike sorted and on the road, Can anyone help me with this please??

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

starter sprag clutch is the name. does the starter turn over , but not the engine ?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi
Im reliably informed that nothing turns over although I cant confirm this for positive. All I know for sure is that before I acquired her she had been sitting in a garage for some 3 years although this problem had been resolved about 9 months ago in preparation for disposing of her. Ive looked in the manual and can find no listing for a starter sprag clutch or starter clutch either? Could you please give me any other hints or help?
Many Thanx

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

It would be in the engine section under the rear cover.

JD

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if you have the honda manual , look in the charging , alternator section. its is named a over running clutch. but if its not getting voltage to the starter , you have other problems.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Need more info but:
If the battery is good 10.5V's+ when starter button is pushed.and you are getting good current to the solenoid..

If all you here is a click at the solenoid that is where your problem is..bad solenoid, bad starter or bad connections to the starter If the starter turns but doesn't drive the engine then issue with the starter clutch, being gummed up so it won't engage the engine. This might be fixed by draining 8 oz of oil putting in sea foam, MMO, diesel or kerosene 8 0z. running the engine for 50 miles real easy..this may clean out the engine and the starter clutch..you are basically thinned the oil with solvent to loosen up all the crud in the engine. Now drain the oil mixture..refill with new oil filter and hope that fixed it.

Other issues..that are common is a bad main ground from the battery attached behind the left side engine hanger. Bad contact or bad cable.

Bad starter..shorter out, doesn't spin at all.

Bad solenoid clicks but doesn't complete the circuit..if you short across the two big studs on the top of the solenoid and the starter spins..that's your issue. But be careful..big sparks if you try it..use old BIG screw driver it will melt it..or spare battery cable.

IN red circle parts that get gummed up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It sounds like i have some testing to do!! Much appreciate all your input guys,:claps: being a bit of a novice with bikes its good to know there are people out there with the knowledge willing to help. I will let you know how i go

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi Guys
Ive checked out the manual which states that the engine has to be dropped to get to the alternator, is this correct because Ive been informed that its possible to get to it without needing to do so. I intend trying RB's method first but if this doesnt work do I need to drop the engine or can I get away with working in situ?
Many Thanx

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

being its a trick , pulling the engine would not be that hard. doing the job right the first time , saves a lot of headaches later on. plus-- it a lot easier to work on.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Further information!
The starter turns but doesnt do anything else! This is starting to sound very much like the starter clutch isnt it....
Once the tank and carbs are cleaned and we have decent fuel and a new battery I shall try RB's method, I will be back but once again thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Further information!
The starter turns but doesnt do anything else! This is starting to sound very much like the starter clutch isnt it....
Once the tank and carbs are cleaned and we have decent fuel and a new battery I shall try RB's method, I will be back but once again thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

When the starter turns, does it spin really fast and make a loud whirring noise or does it turn slow like it is turning the engine over and it just isn't starting? Still need a better description.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Your starter clutch isn't engaging. Possibly due to being gummed up feom sitting. The problem will be to get the engine started without a starter, in order to run some cleaning agent in it for a while. You may be able to 'bunp' start it. Have it in 3rd or 4th gear and get a buddy to push you. The little rollers in the clutch also wear and cause this problem. My 1200 and 1100 did this. I cleaned the 1200 and it doesn't slip very often now. The 1100 didn't get bad enough to clean it. Cold weather will bring this problem out more often.Luck.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hi Bobby
Thanx for the info, it certainly sounds like the starter clutch doesnt it? I have spoken (again) to the guy who did all the work on her and it seems that when this happened last time he replaced all the bearings and etc so in essence the starter clutch now has mostly new internals but of course the bike has sat for quite a while which reinforces the possibility of it being the starter clutch.
If I can get it started what would you recommend I use as a cleaning agent?
Many thanx

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

What oil are you using in the bike?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.