Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, here we go, my restored 1100a has floor boards and heal toe shifter,starter went out, had one. Installed starter, installed floor board shifter, started linkage a couple threads, tightened up bolts on boards, and linkage was real tight, and way out of adjustment, loosened boards readjusted linkage, went into 1st kind of hard, now stuck in 1st probably bent something, any ideas. could it be in the front (easy to get to), or the the shiftingforks, split cases (pull engine) thanks for any info.

allen

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Have you pulled floor boards back off? I would pull all that stuff off and take her off of the center stand, rock her back and forth and see if comes loose.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yeah i did that rode it down the block and back, just so disjusted i put it in the garage and havent looked at it for 2 days, but i have a 79 tagged and insured and almost road ready thanks

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

If you can move the shifter up and down and it doesn't shift it probably lost a spring. If it is stuck and does not move it probably bound up the shift drum. You can get to those things by removing the front cover. Be careful putting it back together and get the gear position switch oriented properly.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When you pulled off the boards did you put the stock shift lever back on and try to shift it that way?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My 83 locked up in 4th on me when I first took it for a ride after it sat for 13 from po neglect. It had stock shifter and happened at a light going uphill. I had to rock it. Ended up being dried out clutch plates and the shifting got better by taking short slow rides going through the lower gears in town. I put a few oz of mmo in the oil for a couple hundred miles then changed oil and filter. All shifting was fine after that.
The floor boards have been known to cause many a problem with shifting, bending rods, causeing seal failure from pressure against seal edge and bending shift forks. Besides they drag early and also cause you to spread your legs and put pressure on your hips, I pulled mine off the 1500 that were on it as my legs would cramp from the unnatural spreading.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Allen,

+1 on what Newday (Stu) said about the heal-toe shifter. They are a toy of the devil!!!

I'd never buy a bike that had one of those on it. That being said, I purchased my 1500 that had one... which I did not find out till after I agreed to buy it. I forgot to ask and he mentioned it after the fact. My word is my work so I still purchased it. Now I have found out I need a new engine because of the 4 gear issues that probably came from the use of the heal-toe torture device. You're better off without it on.

That all being said, I am very sorry to that you are having issues with 1100. I have an 1100 too and I LOVE that bike. I regards to what Dave O was saying about the shift drum, that is a great place to start. If you look at this thread it will give you an idea on what's in there. You get to see what my surprise was!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/115028.html

Very easy to get at, just take your time and make sure that everything is clean before reassembly. Here what everything looks like cleaned up.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Guys...
HEAL-TOE is what you do after stubbing it!
HEEL-Toe is the type of shifter you have...

:ROFL:

Otherwise these guys have it covered but we still need to know if you re-installed the stock shifter and if there was any change?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Guys...
HEAL-TOE is what you do after stubbing it!
HEEL-Toe is the type of shifter you have...

:ROFL:

Otherwise these guys have it covered but we still need to know if you re-installed the stock shifter and if there was any change?
Guilty. I dun did no that two...Duh!!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

i still haent messed with it , will put a toe shifter on it and see if i can get it to shift, i have a parts engine eith front cover off so i know whats in there, and was thinking it could be something there, yjanx for input

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanx for responce, but the boards are staying on, ive put over 150k on bike with them, and lots of other stuff drag before boards do. And i have a 79 gl 1000 with 39k, has winfjammer fairing but eventualy that will come off and remain stock except cruiser shield and soft bags, so i have the best of boeh worlds. Was my fault, im usually slow and methodical, but rain was moving in and i was rushing things. any way life is boring without challenges, but im still a bit POed @ myself, later motor heads

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ok problem resolved, operator error, shifting arm was off a few splines and was hitting starter, i usualkly get things right 2nd or third time around

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

:applause::applause::applause:

AWESOME!!!

No coin to rollout or damage to the bike!!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Good work Keep the dirty side down if the dirty side is up "Wash the scooter"

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Great info -- just what I need..
Have a 80 Interstate that was a barn bird for 13 + years. Just finished the carb rebuilt with Randakk's kit. Had everything to do the timing bels R&R but wanted to move bike to inside my shop where it is warmer. I had to back the thing about 15 ft and I did I have a hard time. I'm 6ft and the floorboard tore my legs up.
Now my main issue -- I now find it is stuck in 4th or 5th. Will pull floorboard today and see if I can find problem in linkage which I hope to be..

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Badwench wrote:
Great info -- just what I need..
Have a 80 Interstate that was a barn bird for 13 + years. Just finished the carb rebuilt with Randakk's kit. Had everything to do the timing bels R&R but wanted to move bike to inside my shop where it is warmer. I had to back the thing about 15 ft and I did I have a hard time. I'm 6ft and the floorboard tore my legs up.
Now my main issue -- I now find it is stuck in 4th or 5th. Will pull floorboard today and see if I can find problem in linkage which I hope to be..
Above I wrote my 83 locked up which was the wrong word. It stuck in 4th at a light. Was probably dry clutch plates from sitting 13 yrs from po.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.