Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a trailer to haul with my 1982 Aspencade. All is well, except that the signals flash really rapidly and weakly. The flasher and signal lights on the bike work perfectly without the trailer. I think the issue is too much 'load' on the flasher (I've had this problem with cars and trailers in the past). Is there a 'heavier duty' flasher that I can install? Will it still work properly without the trailer? And, it sounds like the flasher is mounted up behind the tach? Is this where it is? Or is it in the fairing? Any advice appreciated. Father Mike

·
Administrator
28,080 Posts
You need to get a 2 prong electronic flasher from a parts store, less than $10. Most of the old wings have already had the original replaced with a 2 prong but if yours has not just leave the green wire disconnected.
The flasher is on the left side of the frame under the false tank.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
or put led bulbs in trailer

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I opted to replace all the lights on my trailer with new LED
Now I don't have to worry about burned out bulbs, and no excess load on the bike
old connectors that are getting corroded......etc....etc.....
just made better sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions that LED's will both lighten the electrical load and be longer-lasting and more maintenance-free. But I still don't understand whether it is a simple matter of replacing the old bulbs with new LED lights in the same old light assemblies, or are the LED light assemblies completely different, and need to be replaced completely if I am going to switch to LED's. Father Mike

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Father Mike the LED bulbs are plug and play in your old light sockets no need to change them.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes Mike they do make LED bulbs to replace the stock auto bulbs. Just be sure to order red LEDs for red lenses, amber for amber lenses . You will want to use tower type bulbs to get the brightest light to be seen. Here is a tower bulb in 1157 base.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-dual-intensity-18-smd-led-tower/811/

Also check your light dimensions and compare the LED dimension before ordering.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I replaced the assemblies
eliminated the chance of corrosion in the bulb sockets
I was lucky and was able to use stuff from Walmart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A new trailer lights issue:

Hi guys. Thanks again for all prior input and advice. Well, I bit the bullet and changed the taillight and side marker lights to LED units. The 1157 replacements were going to cost $15+ each, and it helped that the whole unit kit went on sale so each unit was less than $30!!!!

The new issue: the trailer wiring is 'standard' basic four wires, white ground, brown tail & markers, green right signal/brake, yellow left signal/brake, flat four-prong connector. The 'Wing wiring however is five-wire, as the tail/brake light and the signal lights are separate units. All wiring matches (there is a trailer connection already installed that tucks up neatly under the licence plate below the tail/brake unit), and the trailer tail lights, side lights and signal lights all work fine. But the 'Wing's brake light runs off a fifth (yellow/green) wire that isn't connected to the trailer hookup harness (there isn't a fifth connector anyway).

I tried running a jumper from the brake wire to the signal wire, but that just overloaded the signal circuit.

After several hours of circuit testing and taking the seat off and on twice, ive puzzled and puzzled til my puzzler is sore, so any advice would be appreciated.

Father Mike.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I put two yellow marker lights next to the red brake/tail lights and use those as the turn signals. Then you have the correct number of wires for connecting to the bike.
At least that is the way it is on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Some use a converter to convert the five wire to 4 wire. I have a converter, but I am unsure whether to blame my stator failure on the converter or not. Some of the major trailer manufacturers will not install these converters and do not recommend them, instead they add seperate lights to the trailer to make them a five wire system.

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Ther is a five wire to four bit that converts five to four. Wal Mart or similar will have the box that does the deed you seek. You can also add a wire on the trailer and change out the connectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it fixed with a converter that runs the three wires into two and prevents back flow of the current so the signals system doesn't overload. Advice came from "e-trailer.com"". Father Mike

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
You need a five wire to four wire converter. Should cost you around 15 to 20 bucks at a trailer supply or auto store.

I went one step further ans installed relays for each circuit and powered those with a direct battery connected lead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.