Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Absolutely, I plan on documenting start to finish. The 82 stock runs great as it is, I am changing for dependability for long trips. I can go back to stock rather quickly if I want. No cutting or changing of bike is required, the mods I do to Enclosure and such are because I just want to.....The pull throttle cable is the only part on stock bike that must be cut for conversion.

The Yellow is 82, picture from this summer Arkansas trip waiting out rain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
This is my wife's 82GL1100 mounting my Manifold and 34-3 VW carb. $30 worth of PVC, $12 air filter, $89 VW34-3 carb.....and the only thing cut on the GL1100 is the little end on the Pull Throttle Cable.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I can skat to 90 with a ton of power,,,,,but after that the jump is gone, will keep getting faster but it is gradual.,,top end speed over 90 is the trade-off, but that is a place I do not care to travel.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
You're right DKL, that Solex automatic electric choke is beautiful. I miss it in using my Weber. You don't have to touch a thing with that Solex once set up.
If yours works anything like mine did when I ran it (the Brosol H-30/31 variant), it should fire right up down into single-digit temperatures with no problems.
If I wasn't so heavy-handed and now lazy with my cold weather riding, I'd still be running that Brosol. It's better suited for my climate if riding all year.

I like the fact that you've stuck with the whole idea more than anything. You've made it work for yourself. PVC (or is it CPVC) and a Solex do work. You've shown that it lasts as well.
Good Job!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
On the 82 GL1100 I used 1" Sch 40 PVC pipe and Fittings. I no longer use Flex PVC, it worked well but had to be supported or it would sag some in the middle.

I use 4 PVC Socket Bushings 1 x 1 1/4 to go inside the stock rubber manifold ells. I also use the 1" side outlet cross in the middle, and a 1" socket floor flange to mount the 34-3 carb and Four 1" 45 degree ells.

Here are some random pictures of my build, and the Jig I use to build my manifolds. I get the correct amount of drop for the runners by twisting the 45 degree ells until they touch the Jig.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
DKL PVC MANIFOLD v2.0

Not much activity Here, but I figured if someone wants a easy conversion set-up to get their Wing going....This is it. I run the VW34-3 Carb and it works well for my GL1100s. I have used PVC Manifolds for 3 years with no problems, this is my simplest version yet, and runs really Good.

Schedule 40 PVC: 3 each 1" PVC Sling Tee, 4 each 1" Street Elbow, 2FT 1" PVC Pipe, 1 each 1" PVC Floor Flange Nibco Sch 80

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
I think you have an excellent jig set up to do that with.
I realize it took a lot of experimenting, but from the perspective of someone watching this.....

we don't know the dimensions of what you have done.

If we are to duplicate your wooden jig frame, you need to supply those dimensions. and of each piece, and the angles that you have them offset at.

Those little blocks inside the frame are pretty trick to get the right amount of drop.
but what are the dimensions of those?

Also, the dimensions between the out Tees and the inner Tee....

It is obvious it works like a charm....
and if you will provide us the dimensions asked for, it will be totally repeatable.

Kudos for a job well done.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
1) post your dimensions for the fitting framjes
2) How do we find those TEEs you mentioned
You need to watch and listen to his video several times.
I have it up on a separate Tab so that I can stop the video, and then go back to it to write this up.

He says the PVC is 1" Schedule 40.

They are all available at plumbing supply sources.
Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc...

Note that he said he is using 1" Street Ells, so they will fit into the hub tee.

In the video, he says 1" tees.
But, if you notice, they have to be very close to the dimensions of the rubber hoses used on the bike.

The conduit looks to be copper? It would have to fit inside the 1" tee.

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
for some reason I can no longer see the thumbnail pics, has description but if I click it they all disappear, wondering if it on my end or what? So now I can not see any pics from thumbnails

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
for some reason I can no longer see the thumbnail pics, has description but if I click it they all disappear, wondering if it on my end or what? So now I can not see any pics from thumbnails
It seems that most, maybe all, thumbnails on the forum are corrupt.:surprise:

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
ok, so its not my end? thank god, was getting worried that my puter was screwed up, so others can't get them either?
Somebody fix this quick please!!!!!

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
TY very much AZ, I am gonna start getting the pvc pieces together to make this manifold, lol, have not even gotten it on road yet and already going to start doing more to my bike, won't install until I am on road already but gonna get it started

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Finished MANIFOLD for yellow 82 GL1100 it is a little different. I used two 1" 22 degree elbows, no bending of PVC pipe is necessary.....Mock up fittings for MANIFOLD, put it on bike and clamp it in rubber boots,,mark it, take it off drill out the sling Tees,and glue it up....it aligns itself.....all 1" SCH 40 PVC, 3 each sling tees, 4 each 90 degree street elbows, 2 each 22 degree elbows, 1 each socket floor flange solid to mount carb......system will not let me upload image with the two 22 degree elbows. I have images posted on another forum....

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
dkl

we are having issues with attachments for some reason,
post the link to where we can see the pictures.

unlike some forums, we don't get in a tizzy because you linked to GoldwingDocs.com or www.HD.com or where ever, I believe in getting the correct and appropriate info out to the folks to use.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.