Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Almost Done

Installed windshield, put on clear coat and badges.....With the windshield I can get a better feel for the carb set-up. The bike has great acceleration that is comparable to my stock bike. It will scoot to 80 really strong. Above that I don't know, and don't want to go there..I'm a'skeerd little boy.
Here is the pictures of my matched set....First picture is Dec 2012 after I bought the pair for $700.....Yellow with stock carbs, Black with conversion......Me and the Better Half are going somewhere this week-end...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I decided to join up here after the bs on the other site. Sorry about that...
Just saying hi, and wanted to see what this thread looked like.

Posting a pic of my copy of his intake for those that didn't see it elsewhere. Same exact thing aside from color using black pvc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Important update for safety

You are gonna like this......Shade Tree all the way......

Since I am using the flex pvc runners, and the weight of my inside the shelter Tool Box is resting on the air filter, I have been keeping an eye to make sure there was no sag in the runners....After a two hour ride in 94 degree heat, I think there is 1/4 inch sag, not much, but too much for me. Anyone who uses this build should secure the weight of the carb....This is how a Hardware Guy did it.....better safe than sorry.......

I used a piece of 1 x 4 lumber and notched out for the screw heads holding the coolant tubes in place. This holds the spacer in place. Works like a charm and carb is as solid as a rock.....I will take piece of rubber mat and place between spacer and manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a rebuilt Solex 34 Pict 3 for my conversion, I have everything together and have run into a snag. My carb didn't come with an idle shutoff solenoid. There's a big gaping hole where one should be (threaded) and the carb isn't leaking gas from that hole when I fire it up, it's just not there. My question: do rebuild normally come with one, or am I supposed to source it separately? The engine runs like crap at the moment (and from what I've read, it really IS necessary for the fuel system). Also, does anyone have a source? My local parts stores have slim pickings on old VW carb stuff.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Put a plug in it.
CIP1.com has the shut-off solenoids if you really want to use it. I forget their cost..
Its purpose is to prevent run-on of a hot (VW) engine once shut down..

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I decided to join up here after the bs on the other site. Sorry about that...
Just saying hi, and wanted to see what this thread looked like.

Posting a pic of my copy of his intake for those that didn't see it elsewhere. Same exact thing aside from color using black pvc.
That is a neat looking intake and engine. :thumbsup:
And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Week-end of the fourth, I finally hit the open road, 300 mile round trip, with no problems. With the larger windshield, I am able to feel acceleration and hear the engine. This is my opinion of this version of the PVC manifold with a new $95 stock (out of the box) PICT34-3 VW carb.

Engine runs very smooth, and feels like it has more torgue than stock carbs at 0-50. No dead spots in any gear or RPM. The bike jumped to 75 like a race horse and cruised there perfectly with no problems for 60 miles. The bike went to 80 easily, but after that the torque was gone, the speed kept increasing but there was no jump, just a steady increase in speed to 90, and I ain't going any faster, it was still increasing in speed but slowly, I was no where near redline, and the engine was not straining.

I am a back-road guy and this set-up does exactly what I want, it is simple, it is cheap, and evidently reliable. I am sacrificing top-end high speed, and performance,,,,,that I never use,,,,,for no-sync'n,,,,no hydra-lock,,,,and no worries about corn syrup gasoline.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Replacing tires on Ol' Yeller, front tire has a tube, what size valve stem does a 82 use.

P.S. I got a IPAD now, so next week I will post video on single carb,,,,,Cold Start to Haulin' Arse.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,185 Posts
Awesome!!

Better than my first start with my HOTT/Webber set up!

But it's perfected now, so I'm just, with you dude!!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Finished

82 Yellow stock carbs--81 Black single carb,,, rebuilt front forks on both, new brakes all the way around, new rear shocks on Ol' Blacky, helmet intercom system, we are ready to hit the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Day-trip to Historic Natchitoches, Louisiana,,,,,perfect setting for Two Old Wings. 250 mile round trip, and they ran like Butter. Ol' Blacky, with the single carb, held his own with the Yeller stock carb.

P.S. There were Harley's all over the place, but check out the guy with the camera, I guess everyone wants a picture of something Naked.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...it's always the Black bikes getting the single-carb conversions.

...wassup with that?..

·
Registered
17 Posts
PVC Carb

I gotta problem....This Ol' Bike just don't know what to do.......the only time it had seen 95 in the last 10 years was the temperature sittin' in the Chicken House...........I rode it yesterday and decided it was time to stomp on it, everything was perfect till I hit 90, the speedometer needle started fluttering, like one of the chickens it had left at the old home.....I backed off and it kinda acted normal, but it flutters now. Is it fixable ???? (I had a ton of throttle left when I was at 90-95)
Thanks for all the help. Got most of trike done now working on PVC carbs

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
600 Mile Trip-PVC Single Carb

Went to Hot Springs Labor Day Week-End, 600 mile round trip. Both Bikes ran great. Black single carb 81 ran perfect whole trip, 39 mpg, never missed a beat, and OH Yeah we had a Great Time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Solo Seat

Finally got back to installing solo seat. Came off a Suzuki Boulevard....a little cuttin', grindn', riggin', and put in memory foam, and a rubber waffle pad,,,,,,,,very comfortable....I Love it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Decided we would try camp'n on the Ol' Wings,,, 400 mile round trip to Jefferson, Texas. We camped at Caddo State Park, it was Perfect, and so was the weather. The single carb Ol' Blacky got almost 45 mpg loaded with gear. Went 10 miles up the road to an Antique European Bike Rally, those guys love their Bikes, but every single one said...."you know I used to have a 1100 and it was the best bike I ever had"......Duh!!! We had fun and will camp on our road trips from now on.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
This seems like an apt thread to ask this question. I just picked up a GL1200A and I'm looking at most likely having to go through the carbs before it will run well. Would it be worthwhile to just go ahead and switch to a single carb now?

121 - 140 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.