Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
That's actually a $40 EBAY carb (Weber 23/36 DFV). One of the best and most flexible carbs ever made. It can easily support the needs of vehicles from 40hp to 300+
that's interesting, first i'm hearing of the 23/36 variant, most info i've run across is around the 32/36 variant, hard to tune and considered too much carb for a wing

·
Registered
304 Posts
that's interesting, first i'm hearing of the 23/36 variant
Typo fixed.

Weber 32/36 DFV as I corrected stated on the first instance ...but not the second.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Point taken, I always defer to carb Guru's opinion, but This Thread was started to give a cheap e-z alternative to get a wing going, it is targeted for the person that does not have the option to send frame off for refinishing.....or have deep pockets. Post info about carbs that need modifying and special stuff in another thread......

·
Registered
304 Posts
Point taken, I always defer to carb Guru's opinion, but This Thread was started to give a cheap e-z alternative to get a wing going, it is targeted for the person that does not have the option to send frame off for refinishing.....or have deep pockets. Post info about carbs that need modifying and special stuff in another thread......

Respectfully, just like every other member here - I think I'm allowed to have an opinion here on this thread if I choose. Lots of silly stuff is permited across all areas of this Forum including here.

Reactions: dkl

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
looks like there is a "Weber 26-34 two barrel carb" variant

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5849.msg91171.html#msg91171

a wonderful thread you have going here dkl, with mild drifts here & there, like your seat stuff :wink2:

& turns out randakk's carb choice is ultra cheap,

also new to me is suitability for overall gw use, my understanding was mostly difficulties with tuning and it was considered too much (big a) carb

i've certainly not heard or read this
That's actually a $40 EBAY carb (Weber 32/36 DFV). One of the best and most flexible carbs ever made. It can easily support the needs of vehicles from 40hp to 300+

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I am not throwing stones at anybody, Randaak ur stuff is amazing, I read all ur stuff, I am talking about this particular thread. It makes it confusing, for the average user when there is a bunch of stuff about zillion carbs, and this thread is basically about a manifold option.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
i find your manifold info very clear cut and easy to find, in a short, locked sticky that you of course find elsewhere

you can modify your first post here, in this thread, to have all available, important relevant and current info, links too etc, regarding your manifold, in one easy spot & post for reading

one of the things i like about this site setup

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Guy's, ...may be Randakk is just trying give it a bump?
It's a great option!
IMO, it's a Fantastic Tool. I have one as well.
It clearly works for a daily rider as well.
Options Are Good. The many silent know that options are good. Some can only work with the ways and means they have.
Randakk posting in here is good. Better than good. May be more like, "Wow! Randakks looking at my stuff."

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I did, I gave him Props,,,,,,He has a wealth of info,,,,and I have used it since I bought my first oldwing...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yeap!
Many here have designed, then built, some really great intake manifolds to help keep these old bikes going reliably. Names aren't necessary, as each have a passion in and for doing it that, though may stem from the individual, is shared by the group when possible.
Nearly most all of those passionate types check-in however they can.
We've a medium here to share that passion. Many of us have found many difficulties on translating the very fine technical priorities from one hand to another though.

Your idea of using PVC for a intake manifold, combined with your personal successes in application and daily usage is a remarkable asset to many.

You keep moving forward with this. Realise (meaning "don't forget") some will encourage your effort in ways that afford their self the want of doing so within the means that they have to work with.

I see it very encouraging of Randakk posting in this thread, for whatever reasoning of his, or the others reasoning in choosing to interpret his act for doing it.

What you are doing is important to me for my reasoning and, therefore, I encourage your success in doing it as well.
You're clearly passionate for it and its success in transfer will come solely from that.

...there's my 2¢.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Just rolled in from our campin trip. We made Beavers Bend OK, Talimena Byway, Harrison Ark, Hot Springs, and back Home. We had a great time. The 81 SCC ran great, and pulled my trailer no problem-------but,,,my wife's ride, the 82 Stock, it Hydra-locked 3 times on the trip. The bike ran fine, but it smelled gassey the whole trip after the first Hydra-Lok,,,,,it was very embarrassing pulling plugs and pushing Ol' Yeller at a scenic overlook on The Talimena Trail......Good thing is this was last trip of the year....Rebuild Kit-or-Single Carb.....

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
Wish I could have met you at Beaver's Bend, OK...

What days were you there?

Ya'll make a nice looking couple. Congrats to being able to ride together like that.

It has been a long time, since 1972 when my wife quit riding.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
We were there Sat., Sun., & Monday,,,,U missed out,,,my better Half made Sausage Jambalya Sunday nite....We had plenty....we would of fed ya, and let ya fix Ol Yellers carb.

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
sigh!
I always miss out on the good opportunities... :)

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Needle and Seat not closing fuel flow off, or Float level to high on one of more carbs.

New Needles in all carb's minimum, to shut off fuel flow, and clean all grim/crud out of the seat's, to make sure of a great seal between the new needle and seat, Also Check Float height for each Carb. one or more being to high will cause hydro locking, running rich problems.

Problem is when you pull the carbs apart, what oring and seals get damaged during dis-assembly/reassembly or are Not usable, or were flattened out o-ring seals.

Single carb. ends all that, Which carb is causing the trouble scenario?

Not a good scenario to have, When On the road, less is, well Less, or should I say More, More piece of mind that is.

Since i rebuilt my 86' GL1200 Carb Rack, and rebuilt my 83' GL1100 carb Rack Randakk kits, Randaak kits do Not Contain the Needle/Seats, or they didnt when i bought mine, I have Not had a single Problem at all with my 86' GL12, I also rebuilt my 83' Carb Rack But I did Not replace the needles in it or clean the seats, I did adjust the floats though. and I still had Hydrolocking.

Problem is when rebuilding a carb rack especially first time Expect to have that carb rack in and out of there at least 3 times after the rebuild process, to get everything right.

That is Until I went Single carb on that bike, never had another hydrolock since, i have a rebuilt rack of carbs that runs great on my 83' GL11 bike, they just need the new needles and have the seats cleaned really good, so they dont hydrolock anymore.

Reactions: dkl

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I got Lucky,,,,,,My better half just likes to ride at her own speed, keeps RPMs very low, and never lets her rip. The linkage and carb shafts were stick'n and maybe a float. I cleaned her up, lubed her, put some ATF in the Tank, and ran OL' Yeller like a Scalded Dawg. Seems she just needed Blowin' Out. Runs fine now, I just need to ride her bike every now and then,,,,,,Time will Tell.........p.s. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on changing hers to a single carb.......DRAT !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I run ATF in every tank of gas in all carb'ed bikes.

I also run some in the crankcase, keeps it clean and lubed, in hard to get to places like stater clutch.

Reactions: AZgl1800 and dkl

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
It has been cold and wet, no riding at all. So I have decided to make my wifes Ol" Yeller a single before I get too old. Building my manifold a little different this time, I will use plain sch 40 Pvc not flex. I will get the drop I need to go into the Rubber intakes by twisting the 45 degree ells downward. It Lines up almost perfectly. Ordered a VW34-3pict for $89 including shipping.

I also am welding up the enclosure lid, so it will be one big lid to make room for the carb, and room for a storage box on top of filter. Order some Yeller Paint, a little Bondo, and me and the wife will hit the road on a 81 and a 82 both of em single.........

Where did all the Singles go on this Site????? Farmersonly.com ?????????

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
It has been cold and wet, no riding at all. So I have decided to make my wifes Ol" Yeller a single before I get too old. Building my manifold a little different this time, I will use plain sch 40 Pvc not flex. I will get the drop I need to go into the Rubber intakes by twisting the 45 degree ells downward. It Lines up almost perfectly. Ordered a VW34-3pict for $89 including shipping.

I also am welding up the enclosure lid, so it will be one big lid to make room for the carb, and room for a storage box on top of filter. Order some Yeller Paint, a little Bondo, and me and the wife will hit the road on a 81 and a 82 both of em single.........

Where did all the Singles go on this Site????? Farmersonly.com ?????????
Would you please provide the lengths of each runner so that a newbie can follow you along with a minimum of worry.

Thanks

161 - 180 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.