Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,986 Posts
imported post

1st: I would change the timing belts. This is an interference engine. One of them breaks and the engine is in deep kimshee. Pour a full can of Sea Foam into the crankcase oil. Right now, so it can start dissolving the crud down there.

2nd: Leave the plugs out, spray in a lot of MMO or tranny fluid, with the front cover off the engine while you are changing the timing belts, turn it over by hand a few times to work that oil onto the cylinder walls. Turn it in the correct direction and the oil pump will do its' magic. The bearings will be okay.

3rd: the carbs probably need to be cleaned, and maybe the gas tank is rusty? I would not try to use the gas tank until after you have verified that it is clean. Use an external jug to hold the clean gas and after you have turned the engine over several times, then you can use the starter to whirl it over.

In that gas jug? Put in a lot of Sea Foam, full strength for the first few whirls without the plugs installed. Pull that Sea Foam into the carbs and let it do its' magic. Let it set overnight a day or two. It will dissolve a lot of crud and maybe, just maybe get things clean enough that it will start and run later.

Lots more to think about, but this is just a "first things" I would do.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.