Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1: Where is a good place to buy brake pads? there are so many different kinds I dont know what i need.
2: How do I know if my rotor is bad? Its not smooth anymore you can feel the ridges from uneven wear on it.
3: What type of tubing do I need to replace the one that goes from the rear brake fluid resevoir to the rear mastercylinder? It seems these are no longer made.
4: one more opinion question. Should I try to just clean up the calipers and master cylinders, or actually rebuild them? never done it before it looks like fun.

Thanks, Mark.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

1- Online-- try Amazon.com or any of the other sites folks here use a lot (cyclemax, etc). I got new timing belts for $18 each through Amazon. Stick with a stock or stockish pad. No reason to go all out since you are not racing, etc.
2- If not massively grooved, you can just replace the pads. As the pads bed in they will wear to match any grooving. They can be turned (like a car) and as long as they are at or above minimum thickness, you are good.
3- Try aftermarket stainless lines maybe? They make them for MANY models and years. Otherwise, it is a high pressure hydraulic. Perhaps it can be made by an auto shop with the specs, but I would think aftermarket is cheaper. And, do you NEED to replace it for some reason?
4- If they were working well before, a good cleaning, flush, lubeing should be fine. A rebuild is not real hard, but if you have no indication it is necessary, try the cleanup first.
Just my thoughts...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Oh - Upon any reassembly, be sure to wipe the rotor down with brake parts cleaner and be sure to keep the pads clear of any oil, brake fluid, etc. Also, you can use synthetic DOT-4 as it mixes just fine with DOT-3 and you can get it almost anywhere pretty cheap.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

firebrick wrote:
3: What type of tubing do I need to replace the one that goes from the rear brake fluid resevoir to the rear mastercylinder? It seems these are no longer made.

Thanks, Mark.
Any good auto parts store will have what you need on bulk rolls, just bring in the remains of the one you have and tell them it's for brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Like Ken says, you can buy the tubing off the roll. Some stores have flare tools so bring along your old connectors and they will fit them to the tube and flare the ends.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

beertap tom wrote:
Like Ken says, you can buy the tubing off the roll. Some stores have flare tools so bring along your old connectors and they will fit them to the tube and flare the ends.
Its not a metal line he asked about. Its rubber which slips on and gets clamped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.