Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Having a problem with my '81 GL1100. It starts, and runs but pot number 3 is oiling up. I am getting a lot of smoke out of that side, and especially after a few miles it is running real rough.

Have checked compression and all 4 pots seem fairly equal (if a bit low) at 110-115 PSi (although low reading could be due to the guage).

Am thinking it could be either head gasket or valves, but wondered if anyone might have any advice as to most likely problem before I start stripping it/buying parts I might not need...

Any ideas very muchly appreciated,

Byrnie77.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
110-115 is pretty low compression all around. Did you check it hot, all plugs out and with the throttle wide open? If it is a lot of blue oil smoke there is probably a problem with the piston rings.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
The least expensive solution is what a bike mechanic i know calls an "Italian Tuneup".

Try a different plug in the oily cylinder...one temperature grade hotter.

If its not enough, go two hotter and see if it helps burn off the excess hydrocarbons.

Three hotter is a bit of a stretch.

Eventually you will have spent enough on plugs to find the cost of a ring job a good deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help,looks like i might have a bit of work to do.Redue that comp test first, me thinks.Thanks Byrnie77

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.