Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a 1980 GL1100 which I have owned since 1984. I noticed recently a tar type substance which had "dripped" onto the front engine casing. On investigation, I found that the Ignition Amplifier has apparently overheated, the resin from within has melted and run out, dripping over other parts. Does anyone know why this should occur, is there a fault I am not aware of that has caused this...?
:stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Tony!:waving::waving:

Any relation to any of the merry men? (Sorry just couldn't help it!:goofygrin:)

Sounds like it's got an internalproblem that heating the insides of the thing, I'd start looking for a replacement before that one packs it in. I don't know the circuitry but often a capacitor will fail in an enscapulated module and heat things up melting the wax filler.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Probably have to get one from e bay!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Tony-27 wrote:
I own a 1980 GL1100 which I have owned since 1984. I noticed recently a tar type substance which had "dripped" onto the front engine casing. On investigation, I found that the Ignition Amplifier has apparently overheated, the resin from within has melted and run out, dripping over other parts. Does anyone know why this should occur, is there a fault I am not aware of that has caused this...?
:stumped:
Tony, the usual cause of those things failing is leaving the ign switch on with the engine NOT running & the points closed for that unit. It only take short time to overheat & fry those boxes. Other causes are high operating voltage due to a charging system malfunction, or the coil for that side having too low of a resistance & passing too much current.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I would be looking at an over charge state caused by the battery/ regulator / chargeing system. If you have any component put out more ampereage than it is designed to it starts burning up electrical parts.Could also be old age of parts.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Twisty I was pleased to give you one "Mana" because you have been most helpful lately and I'm learning alot from you , thanks!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Twisty I was pleased to give you one "Mana" because you have been most helpful lately and I'm learning alot from you , thanks!:clapper:
Thanks Wingdawg.. I wonder how many of those it takesto get a free TV set?:cheeky1:_

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

They're like "Green Stamps", remember those?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
They're like "Green Stamps", remember those?!:baffled:
Wingdawg, unfortunately I remember green stamps, red stamps, & the books they went in. I remember getting a (2) transistor AM radio (about the size of a suitcase) with a few books of green stamps when I was younger.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Then you remeber the toy "Submarines" and "Frogmen" that you put baking soda in and they would dive to the bottom of the bath tub!Wow!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Then you remeber the toy "Submarines" and "Frogmen" that you put baking soda in and they would dive to the bottom of the bath tub!Wow!:clapper:
Wingdawg, I remember a metal submarine with a rubber band inside that you could wind up & set the dive fins to allow it to dive. There was some kind of powder you added to the tower area to make it bubble & surface.

Probably the biggest mistake I made was not keeping the Lionel train I had as a kid. Those things are hard to find now & quite expensive when you do. I'm getting old enough now to appreciate that train again.

I collect old hit & miss engines as well as old J.D. two cylinder tractors so an early 1900's train would be a real added item.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Tony,

I had the same "meltdown" on my '81. I've heard it termed an Ignition Amplifier and a Spark Amplifier. Is it possible an aftermarket Ignition amplifier would serve the same purpose?

I found a website via Froogle (google) for an Ignition Amplifier:

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/pocoam.html

However, I certainly haven't pulled the trigger and bought one, (or two???). Have you addressed the melted device by repair or replacement yet? What were your results?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Internal problems are a possibility but external problems abound. Your 1980 and my 1980 have and had the same problems. In my case it was a matter of cleaning all the electrical connections. The amplifier will get hot also if the resistance values because of dirt, age, and poor electrically contacted connectors. Before replacing the square boxes, clean all connectors that connect to the box. Even remove the regulator and clean it up since heat from it travels to the little square boxes. Then run the bike with the tray removed and feel the amplifiers, if they are still hot look to replace. And by the way the black tar removed is no big deal as long as the amplifiers are still isolated within their enclosures. Be sure to remove the fastener and clean it and the mounting area under the amplifiers. Good luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
I collect old hit & miss engines as well as old J.D. two cylinder tractors so an early 1900's train would be a real added item. Twisty
I've always thought one of those old rattle, rattle, bangers would be great in a glass case in the living room, plumbed in with and electric motor starter vee belted to it for a starter. Love the sound of those old engines, almost as much as I've always had a thing for steam engines. If I had the money you can bet I'd be running a neat little steam launch on Puget Sound.

P.S. I'll bet the stupid mana didn't show up!:whip::whip:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.