Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the front wheel off to mount a new tire so I thought I would clean and regrease the speedo drive. I have the drive unit off and the drive gear out. But I don't know how to remove the worm gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brian

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I just swab out the old grease with a rag and a thin screwdriver. Then repack it with fresh hi temp wheel bearing grease. Not really a need to remove the worm gear unless it's broke.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I don't think that you can remove the worm gear... I normally just spray-clean it, then repack with grease.

BTW, be sparing with the grease, as any excess will fling out onto your left brake rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I don't know what wing you are referring to BUT on my 93SE a too thick of a grease will sieze the gear. Been there done that. I used a sewing machine oil on the gear and dri slide on the cable.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
A wash out with WD40 first and a small bit of grease will do no harm. What Goldwing model are you referring to Brian? It helps to know that when we are dealing with tech questions.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A wash out with WD40 first and a small bit of grease will do no harm. What Goldwing model are you referring to Brian? It helps to know that when we are dealing with tech questions.
Sorry, I am resurrecting a '82 GL1100 Standard.

I took all your advise and cleaned the worm gear in place, put a small amount of grease on the teeth of the big gear and the inside running surface and have it back together.

Thanks for the help
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.