Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm at a loss with the speedometer drive gear. I removed the speedo cable at the drive gear on the front wheel of my 81 GW, lifted the wheel off the ground, gave it a spin and looked at the flat drive pin as the wheel rotated...no movement of the drive pin. My thought is the gear is done. I purchased a used one. When I took the old one off I found that the drive pin would move when I spun the collar that drives the pin gear. It worked the same as the one I bought to replace it. I cleaned everything up and found that there doesn't seem to be a way for the collar that drives the gear to make contact with the wheel. I looked at a exploded view of the front wheel but see no washer or spacer of any kind between the drive gear collar and the wheel. Am I missing something here? I'm wondering if there is a washer or spacer of some sort that is not listed on the exploded view of the front wheel assembly that comes with a new gear drive and that the PO may have lost it or it was lost during a tire change. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

There is a metal ring with tabs on it that goes in the wheel behind the speedo gear. this is what drives the gear.It is called the retainer ring. I just had to replace mine. It is a $4.00 or $5.00 dollar part. I replaced the dust seal also. Hope this helps. Dwight

·
Premium Member
115 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Part #10 is the drive gear. I think part #1 is for digital speedo. Is yours digital? Dwight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.