Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Probably a dumb question but my tach on my 82 GL1100A went haywire on me,making very loud noise and bouncing the needle from one end to the other,was looking at buying another one but was looking through my parts box's and I have speedo/tach gauges for a 78 GL1000 the only difference being the #'s, the 82 reads 85mph and the 78' 140mph and the tach reads differently,I would think they are just geared differently inside and it wouldn't make a difference or am I asking for a speeding ticket?
Thanks for any input.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you pull the tach cable off and remove the center cable to see if it's rusted?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If it's the tach replace it only, not both, but probably will have to be from an 1100.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

I don't think there is any difference in the gearing so they will probably work just fine. I thought about putting GL1000 instruments on an 1100 but couldn't come up with the ones I wanted with the green gauges to match the bike.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I don't think there is any difference in the gearing so they will probably work just fine. I thought about putting GL1000 instruments on an 1100 but couldn't come up with the ones I wanted with the green gauges to match the bike.
Are they the same size tire? 21", 19" vs 18".

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

They do mount differently. They should read the same though. I currently have a mini speedo I had on my 76, reads the same as it did on the 76. I think if I do a switch(my speedo and tack both quit), I'd change the mount also if it will switch. I still have to check that out. On my 76, after replacing the speedo 3 times, I built a mount and put a mini speedo, mini tach, voltmeter, and temp gage on it. That's worked for 23k now.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The speedo will work fine. A lot of owners ditched the 85mph speedo for the later ones and nobody reported speedo reading errors.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Are they the same size tire? 21", 19" vs 18".
Very little difference in circumference of a 110/90 19 and a 120/90 18.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.