Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need some advice here guys. The cable seems fine at the upper ends, no shearing scars. The cable slot at the wheel seems perfect, but at 20 mph it catches and sqeals like rattling snake sound. I pulled the cable loose at the upper end and ride with the tach. Is this thing magnetic? Anyway, I am certain there are answers here in our tribe. :smiler:

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

Take the speedo off and turn it up and squirt some liquid graphite on the shaft. I have used just oil but the graphite will stay longer.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Have you lubed the speedo cable? The inside pulls out from the bottom of the cable. If its all rusty inside from no lube and moisture got it, that will cause a squeeling.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

NoSir, you have a messed up speedo, it's probably maxing out too ain't it, if you're lucky, you can do what Dave suggested and it might fix it temporarily, if you're not, then you'llhave to do what the rest of us did & get you a new one by running the gambit on ebay, I got lucky for about a $100.

It sucks I know but when those plastic gears give up, they really give up!! :needahug:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i got a spare front tire with a rim, speedo assembly when i need a new tire i mount it on that rim and install it then buy a new tire for the other rim halfway through the winter or something and pre-mount it, it sure is handy when you have a flat you can just swap rim assemblies

check on ebay for a whole rim, speedo assembly otherwise just unplug the speedo cable, and use the tach for the "estimated speed"

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

is there a trick to removing the housing? I want to flip it over and use some grafite in side the thing. I will use some on the cable itself.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

MADDAVE48 wrote:
is there a trick to removing the housing?.

The cable, or drive housing? Cable inner pulls out from the bottom. The speedo drive comes out with the wheel.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I think he means the speedo itself Ben. Look up from underneath and you will see the nuts holding it in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.