Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

From the day I got my Gl1100 the brakes have squeaked. I talked to the former owner and he said they have always done this and he had a mechanic look at it and the pads and disks have plenty of life left in them. I inspected them and concluded the same, yet they always squeak. I have sprayed brake cleaner on them, adjusted clearances, etc but they still squeak when they are applied. Any ideas? I have heard some brake pads have metal shavings in them and cause more squeaking. Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
Jeff in Iowa.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

I have the same issue, comes and goes, sometimes won't do it at all...

After I polished my rotors ( which are lightly grooved ) it went away for long time...

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

It's probably aftermarket pads and there are no shims on them. Also the back of the pads and the metal ends where they contact the brackets need to be coated with moly paste.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Mine do it too. Seems to be normal with this bike. Dave's idea is pretty good, though moly paste might be overkill.. A good brake lubricant would do just fine, though if you're any sort of shadetree mechanic at all on the Goldwing, you'd have the high moly grease available for when you pull the rear wheel off.. :)

P

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

i use what is called stop squeal.i have used it on car brakes for a long time.and it works good.it is made by BG products out of wichita,kansas,if it helps part no.860.

by the way it looks like ink.you put right on the pad..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.