Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi ppl. i checked everything on the carbs, the floats are off by an inch, would that cause it not to start and backfire?/

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can't see how the floats could be off an inch and you could still get the bowls back on. You might want to recheck the reference points where you measured them. I believe the proper measurement is .61" which is measured from the flange on the carb body where the bowl attaches to the top of the float on the opposite side from the pivot. The measurement is made by turning the carb body until the tang just contacts the needle valve. The float settings are critical, if the fuel level in the bowl is too low you'll have lean mixture problems and if too high overly rich. A 1/16" can effect operation.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Sorry but I do not believe it is possible for the floats to be off by an inch??I do not think there is that much space in the bowls. But if they are off at all it does not take much for them to screw up the whole carb setup.

Depending on which way they are off they can cause the carb to flood continuously or not to get enought gas to giveto the cylinder causing a lean / dead cylinder condition. Yes backfiring and spitting / farting might result.

WF

must of been typing while you was posting Exavid !!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

yes i have marked the measurment, on a measuring stick that we used last year on my other carb's which we set, maybe an inch was an over-estimate but by a lot. my question is would this be the cause the bike won't start?

thank you : Derick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the fuel level in the bowl is too low that sure can cause starting problems. The float levels have to be in the correct balll park at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.