Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Or maybe a new Solenoid, even though it is pretty new. The solenoid will click when I press the start button, but it will also do it on all 3 settings(off/on/off), so maybe something came loose... Either way, I'm not getting any response from the starter before and after I cleaned it. Even after I cleaned it(Note: there was a lot of carbon build up when I took it apart), I did attach a battery charger to the starter to check if it would turn. Sadly though, doing that, it would do a half rotation then lock up.

I use the charger method 2 more times to see if the connection just slipped and still the same result. So I took it apart again checking if I missed anything and everything seem to be in check. Brushes were still making good contact though even a little worn. Put it all back together again, did the charger method again, got a quarter turn and it locked up. so maybe the starter is shot? However, just out of curiosity, I installed it back onto the bike to check if the results would be different or the same, and still I'm only getting a click from the solenoid.

I put my hand on the starter while pressing the button and no vibrations from the motor even trying to turn, I even ran a line from the battery to the starter as I've read on multiple forums, and still nothing.

This is my bike. 1980 GL1100 Standard. She still needs work and some cosmetics.

I did have her running last week after cleaning the carbs a second time, and did she sound great compared to the first time I started her when I first got the bike. Anyways, I didn't get this problem until I took out the battery to charger it. After I installed it, that's when the clicking started. I did have the battery tested and it tested good.

Also, a side note, the positive wire inside the starter, did not have the insulated cloth around it as illustrated in the guide.

So do you think I need a new Starter, Solenoid, or should I get new brushes even though they seem to be making contact.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Jump the starter from a good battery..car??? if it spins..then start looking for a bad connection up stream, main ground, rotting inside the neg cable, bad connections at the solenoid.

or Does the solenoid click? jump across the solenoid posts with a big screw driver...sparks!!!..if spins bad solenoid.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I've got a 3 foot flat head screwdriver, that big enough? That is one method I didn't. I just tried it, and I did get it running for about 8 seconds(no choke or gas applied). Lot of sparks when touching both post. So do I really need a new Solenoid? Wouldn't just be a bad connection or crossed wire?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a bad solinoid. I replaced one on my GL1000 with a tractor one from Tractor Supply. Replace your main dogbone fuse at the same time

Don

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

could be bad cables, one you eliminated was the main battery cable, well on second thought you eliminated them all as suspect, the solenoid needs replaced,,,,,,, only thing that may save you buying a solenoid is take the cables off and make sure you are getting good connection at both posts, now back to the starter, did it turn over really good or just drag over? that should tell ya if you need to replace it, next thing is get the solenoid straight and ride it like ya stole it:action:

aftermarket solenoids are available in most bike shops and pretty much any ford solenoid can be made to work

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

If you shorted across the BIG terminals of the start solenoid and found that it turned over ok then change the solenoid .
Clean the start switch , check all connections etc.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'm actually using an aftermarket Solenoid. Just went outside to take a picture of it too. but, for some reason, it's not letting me upload it from my phone to computer, it doesn't even show up in my files on the comp.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I haven't had a problem with the solenoid until last week, but I'm not going to be able to check it atm. it's about to storm out, and I'd rather not have everything off the bike when it does :smiler:. I'll get back on it when the weather seems more reasonable to work in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.