Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it normal for Wings to stand up straighter than other bikes when on the kickstand? I wish it would lean a little more since it seems that it wouldn't take much for it to tip over on the the other side. :brokedown:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

you probably need new springs in your rear shocks. Mine did that until I rebuilt the shocks with progressive springs. Also how much air are you running in the rear shocks? With the new progressive springs, I can ride with no air and not bottom out and the angle on the side stand is so great that I use a piece of 1/2 plywood when she is parked in the shed.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I run the high end of the recommended air pressure. I will probably do the spring thing..

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pete
Do you have a chrome big foot kickstand on it? If so, they are made too long.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I always worried about my 82 GL1100 I falling over, the wrong way, when I put her on the stand. So I always "lifted" her when I got off.

Then I put new springs in the rear. NO PROBLEM NOW.

Do the springs, most importantly the rears. I'm doing my fronts soon.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I just have the stock kickstand. When you talk about replacing the spring, are you replacing just the spring part of the rear shock or are you replacing the shock as a whole?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

bike will stand strait when the front shocks air low on air to... Just to let you know. might be front and not back.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Shocks on both the front and rear are re-buildable, including the springs. Over time, the springs will collapse and that is what happened on mine. For about $50 I put new Progressive Suspension brand rear springs in. Made a world of difference. When I get a spare 100 buck, I'll do the fronts.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My '85 LTD has what I believe are the original shocks/forks, neither has ever been rebuilt, and neither holds air. The bike sits fine on the sidestand, but is very mushy on the road, I have banged the centerstand in corners while not leaned over very far.

I was looking at replacing the stock rear air shocks with Progressive non air shocks (I do not want or need air shocks) They cost $214. Is it possible to put strong enough springs in the stock shocks that they would not need air? It would be a lot cheaper that way, but they would need to be pretty strong springs.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

mine stands at attention too i run high air psi in the rear shocks

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
mine stands at attention too i run high air psi in the rear shocks
How much psi do you run? I put in more when my wife and I ride two up.:kissing:

I don't know how accurate my gauge is so I could be a little high...however, it would seem to me that higher psi would make the bike lean more, not stand up higher on the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

probably 70psi been doing yhat for years ill invest in a new set of shocks if they blow up

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Maybe I'll up it some. Probably not that high, but the recommended dose never seemed to be enough...at 6'3" 260lbs, I tend to give them a work out.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ok -- now we have the whole pic. yes the springs are tired . from what i read , progressive springs front and rear should clear up the problem your having and help with a lot better ride and control in the twistes . give progressive a call and they can recommend a spring rate for your weight and such. both front and rear. have fun , its a great handling bike for touring when set up right.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Actually, I had the wrong psi in the rears. Not sure where I got my numbers from...may have seen the tire pressure number which was listed on the next line, but I only had about 30psi in the rears. (doh)...saw that 57psi was on the top end so I put about 60 in and that made the difference. Don't bottom out anymore.:applause:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ive never had any issues with mine running alittle higher psi im sure someday the seals will go but im not dropping 200-400 on shocks right now

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I was looking at replacing the stock rear air shocks with Progressive non air shocks (I do not want or need air shocks) They cost $214. Is it possible to put strong enough springs in the stock shocks that they would not need air? It would be a lot cheaper that way, but they would need to be pretty strong springs.
It would be a shame to put spring shocks in a LTD/SEI. The autoleveling feature is pretty handy when riding solo then two up. You can get stronger springs from Progressive to install in your OEM shocks for around $50. They will make a considerable improvement in the bike's suspension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.