Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hey There. I've had this happen on both of my bikes. I'd be wary of using seafoam or MMO is the crankcase. My last bike developed a bad conrod knock immediately after going a couple hundred kilometers with a pint of seafoam in the oil. When I drained the oil, it came out as thin as water. Maybe its just a coincidence that it developed the knock afterward, but it didn't fix my starter clutch.

However, here are some things I DO recommend.

-Put a heater next to the rear left side of the engine where the starter clutch is. Leave it overnight or for at least a few hours. The heat will make any old, goopy oil that is up in your starter clutch less viscous, and may free up the starter clutch. Has worked for me.

-Your second option if you continue having trouble is to make a small hole in the side of the case that allows you to spray cleaner and lubricant directly into your starter clutch. Details here:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12909

-If neither does the trick, you'll have to take your engine out and clean everything back there by hand, replacing parts as you go. It really doesn't take thaaat long if you put your head down and get into it, with all parts ordered beforehand. I don't think your problem has anything to do with your starter.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.