Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hey Kevin,

I think that your battery is weak or has been depleted because of the amount of cranking. This is a classic symptom.

The starter clutch works off of centrifugal force. If the starter motor does not spin fast enough then it will not engage the clutch. Also, if you starter clutch is “gummed up” then the requirement to spin faster to engage is greater.

Recharge the battery and try again with starter fluid.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Kevin,

I have heard of different people saying that the outer ring of the reduction gears in the starter head can become loose. The symptoms that they described are similar to yours.

From what they were saying, the set pin that mounts between the outer gear and the case of the motor either rusts out has gone missing (where to I can’t imagine) or gets sheared off with rust and age (see attached picture). I don’t know the validity of the claims. If you have the starter out is may be worth looking into and maybe cleaning up the starter when you’re in there.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...9376-82-gl1100-aspencade-starter-refresh.html

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
1983lux,

Respectfully, if you used a pint of Seafoam in your oil then I would surly expect you would have problems afterwards. It should have only been a few ounces per volume of oil as directed on the can of Seafoam.

I would be more concerned in drilling into a working engine and having metal falling into it. If you’re going to do anything like that, that part should be off that bike… at which point the starter clutch could be properly repaired. Also, the article in question is based on a GL1000 if I read it properly. This allowed the owner to advance the clutch with the kick starter which the 82's do not have.

Tim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.