Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally, I bought a rebuilt Japanese starter from Morcycle Pro ( stockers.com ). And my '82 Wing nows starts quickly and every time , even when the engine is warm. I have gone through 2 Chinese made starters in less than 2 years, the last one is 8 months old. It works when cold but when it warms up it may or may not start. It is oil soaked, seen arround the housing. My advise is to all, buy a rebuilt Japanese starter before buying a new chinese one. They are the same price but the rebuilt is better. Plus it installed quickly where I had to fight to get the chinese one in. Doug, '82 ing/Watsonian sidecar." The third of three 1100's owned in 18 years."

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Thankyou Doug for the info . ITs always good to hear from some first hand experience.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I bought a rebuild from Stockers as well, after I made a mistake a year ago of trying a cheapo. I can't believe how much better the quality is. No more drag, just quick and fast starts.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

And for the price I paid for the 2 Chinese starters, with $30 dollars more i could have bought a new japanese starter ! Doug

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

A couple questions.

Why are their rebuilds $100 and the new ones $110? Also the factory units are Japanese, I'm not convinced these will last any longer than the originals...

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Well if the one I bought from Stocker will last a fourth as long as the original didI'll be happy. Then again I don't know how many times the starter had failed on my bike in the past. Maybe 5 times maybe 2 times. This one hasn't failed in two years now. If Stocker is still in the business when this one goes down I plan on getting another from him.:waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

took my starter to local starter repair shop.watched him rebuild it. new bushings and brushes $30.00 been on 2yrs still like new.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Stockers Japanese rebuilds are about the price of new Chinese starters but well worth it. Doug

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The starter on my '83 Interstate quit at 20,800 milesand wasn't rebuildable soI purchased a rebuilt OEM Mitsuba starter from Stocker's Starters in EL Cajon, CA Jan of this year. At that time the price was $119.95 with free shipping. Now the price is $99.95 and not sure if the shipping is still free.If you need a starter Stocker's has one for all years of GoldWings. I am a very satisfied customer! Below is a link to their site.

http://www.stockers.com/PShondastreet.htm

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
I've dealt with Elwood (yes… that IS his first name) since the late 70's. He had a motorcycle salvage yard in San Diego back then. He sold that and went into the starter business. When I had my shop in Rancho Cordova I was always contacting him for starters and had only 1 that had to be returned under warranty. He shipped out the replacement before I returned the faulty one…. so I was able to get the bike in and out with the replacement starter in my hand. That helped make sure my customer wasn't inconvenienced.

Yes…. Elwood Stocker is good people!!

edit: the last I dealt with Elwood was prior to July 2007. It looks like his starter business has been sold as has his motorcycle salvage business. The new owners have maintained the 'Stockers' name for it's recognition value.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
The only thing I buy Chinese, is Chinese Food.

But the place I go, it is made by a Mexican guy, i could have swore he was Chinese by the taste of the food??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.