Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloodwing, 83 1100 aspencade, rebuilt starter and installed it. It turn the motor over fine, so I installed the spark plugs tried to start it the bike cough spit and spudered, tried again and now all I get is the starter spinning. almost like gear and chain just spinning at least thats what I think I am hearing. Now how do I find out what happen?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Make sure battery is in good shape and charged. In neutral, hit the start button, no longer than 3 seconds. If starter just turns at high RPM, let stop and restart, this time just a little longer and see if it hits.

Does it stop while the button is engaged? You may have to charge the battery as you attempt the starts. If you never get the start mechanism engaged, the rollers etc may be bunged up.

When you had the starter out, testing it on a bench is basically useless since this series wound motor needs a working load ( the bike's engine) to cause torque. While the motor was out did you repair or rebuild parts?

Some have used thinner oil or cleaners in the crankcase to help get rid of thick deposits than can hinder the clutch arrangement of the starter circuit (mechanical).

Grade of oil will make a difference now that it is colder.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
used all new parts for the rebuild of the starter, brand new battery fully charged, tried the 3 second starter button push and then longer still the same, no engagement. and bike was in neutral, new oil 15 w 40 rotella.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
put it in gear and roll it backwards a foot or 2 and try it

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
till you get it to turn over good i would remove the pluges and put the kill switch to off. this will save working you starter and battery. it sounds like to me that the sprage clutch springs and locking rollers are stuck . untill it`s starting with the starter you`ll have to push start it to get the oil and cleaning agent to it to do there job of cleaning it up.
worse case , is pulling the engine removeing the back cover , removeing the sprage clutch and cleaning it up.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done everything except push start it, still no luck just spins. and no I don't want to pull the motor out unless I absolutely have to. any other ideas?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I have done everything except push start it, still no luck just spins. and no I don't want to pull the motor out unless I absolutely have to. any other ideas?
In my experience a sprag clutch going bad makes nasty noises rather than just spinning free.
First thing I'd do is pull the starter and check the gears in it.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the starter back out and checked the gear inside the motor, will turn 1 way but not the other, so I know this is right. Pulled the starter aprt and found the big ring type gear had spun and broke the starter housing, (took a small chunk out of it) where the line up pin was. now can this gear be epoxied back in or do I need a new housing?

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
Way too much stress there for epoxy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.