Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Those are the two primary causes, make sure the battery is fully charged and all connections are clean and tight... :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Actually, I've had a dirty starter button/switch do that too. If you open up the housing so you can see the switch, you can spray it with WD-40 or contact cleaner. Make SURE contact cleaner is safe for plastic.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Actually, I've had a dirty starter button/switch do that too. If you open up the housing so you can see the switch, you can spray it with WD-40 or contact cleaner. Make SURE contact cleaner is safe for plastic.
Dennis, if he hears a click the starter switch/button is working.
As Shooter said check the battery and connections between it and the starter.
It could also be the starter relay, just because it clicks doesn't mean it's making contact internally.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

It could also be the starter relay, just because it clicks doesn't mean it's making contact internally.
+1 on the clicking and not working

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Your all covered except the starter itself.
With bike in neutral, use a battery to jump directly to the starter + and - terminals.
If no go you have a bad starter. See rebuild steps in tech. forum.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Ken - while I don't believe the starter button is the problem I believe Dennis knows the symptom and is describing that his bike had those same symptoms that resulted from a bad switch. While less likely than the connections at the battery starter etc. I believe it is possible for a switch to cause that symptom.

Again-not disagreeing with your diagnosis but Dennis has mentioned this before.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

If it does turn out that you need a new "SOLENOID", relay, thingamajigyou can buy them all day long on ebay for$22.95 with free shipping.

If you do take that starter button housing apart, be very careful how you put it back together, the three screws only have to be tight enough that it doesn't twist on the handlebar, tighten them evenly and do not over-tighten, those housings are really hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

indianman865 wrote:
bought and put on still just clicks

I'm not clear what you bought and put on?

Also, can you push start it? Does the motor actually turn over or is it hydro-locked (fuel)? Did you try to jumper cable the starter or solenoid? To troubleshoot the solenoid, you can run a jumper cable from the battery right to the starter. If you have the kill switch off you can at least check that far easily. The solenoid is also sometimes rebuildable (cleaned anyway). Instructions are on this forum somewhere...

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

This clicking you've got, is it just one click at a time with each push of the button or does it click real fast when you push the button once?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

There is no starter solenoid on a GL1100. There is a starter button, which can only handle a small amount of current, then there is the starter RELAY, which is what is clicking, is an electrically controlled switch capable of handling the current the starter draws. If your getting a clicking noise, your starter switch is PROBABLY ok, but it is possible for the switch to be so dirty or so worn out, that it is not sending full voltage to the relay, causing it to close and send power to the starter. If you are sure about the battery being good, look at the relay. You will find 2 large cables attached to it. One goes to the positive terminal on the battery. The other goes to the positive terminal on the starter. The starter motor is grounded through the housing.

Take a small screwdriver, and jump the connections at the relay, basically connecting the cable from the battery and the cable from the starter together. The starter should work if the battery is good. If the battery is known good and fully charged, and the starter still doesn't work, then the problem is either the cable from the relay to the starter, the connection to the starter, or the starter itself.

You can rule out the cable and connection by connecting 12V directly to the starter, but I advise extreme caution. You will need a large cable for this, and you will have to be VERY careful not to ground it out against the engine, frame, or starter housing, or you will have some serious sparks.

I think before I did that, I would check for voltage at the starter connection while you have the relay jumped. If you have no voltage, it's the cable that is bad. The reason I really don't want to suggest connecting 12V directly to the starter, is for one thing, on my 1200, it would be virtually impossible to get a large cable in there without shorting it out, because of where the starter connection is, and two, if the starter, starter drive, or engine is locked up, that cable is likely to get very hot very fast.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
There is no starter solenoid on a GL1100. There is a starter button, which can only handle a small amount of current, then there is the starter RELAY, which is what is clicking, is an electrically controlled switch capable of handling the current the starter draws.

I don't mean to split hairs to make spaghetti Jerry, but a starter selinoid and a starter relay is basicly the same thing: They are a device that when energised by a lowwattage circuit,it energizes a higher wattage wattage circuit.. It's just different names....

And in the FWIW department, Bike Bandit list's this device as: "SW,STARTER MAGNETIC" the same as Mother Honda does I believe!

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1983-honda-gl1100i-gold-wing-interstate/o/m2339#sch34716

And I agree with the above post's. Try jumping the "SW,STARTER MAGNETIC"and see if the starter will kick over. If not a starter rebuild might be in order....

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

indianman865 wrote:
just one time each push of button
Then I would look next at the integrity of the main wires between battery and solenoid and solenoid and starter because the control side of it is doing it's job, caution though when removing and replacing theconnection on the starter, thethreaded stud can twist and break internal wires.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

thanks everyone I tried to reburbish starter but it was burnt on the armature I dont know if i have a short or something that caused that but replaced starter works great I did have trouble with relay bought on ebay for 22.95 but put the old relay back on and it starts fine thanks again everyone

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.