Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay i replaced my starter last year with one from a slavage yard the donor bike had 30 thou on the o.d. I opted for a fresh out of a bike starter due to how I had ben misled by a local "Gold Wing Guru" basicaly trying to scare a bunch of cash out of my pocket. Its a long story thats water under the bridge anyway. My prob now is I took today off to ride and stopped for gas and guess what went to start and "click" "click". Now I ve had charging issues so I have a battery tender mounted in the left bag and I figured something had gone awry last night so I jumped the bike and headed home plugged it in and a few hours later I tried it and "click" "click"WTF!!! Took my handy 8inch adjustable gavethe startera little tapand it turned over. Should I break down and buy a new off ebay or is it possible to get these starters rebuilt. I'm a little peived because of the "Gold Wing Guru" I paid more for the salvage yard starter than I could of bought a new one off ebay for and I had to drive three hours to the yard gas meals etc could have bought 2 new off ebay. Anyway anyone had luck getting them rebuilt and if so where did you send it to?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Go ahead and get a new one. I rebuilt mine twice only to have it slow down again a week later. Night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was afraid some one was gonna tell me that any sugestions on what to get ebay is the best deal I've found.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Woods Wagon,

It costs nothing but a little time and effort to take apart and clean you starter. Most times it will cure your problems for some time... maybe even for a few years more of driving. Just do a great job.

However, if you have to replace your starter, then I would highly recommend this starter from DB Electric. They now have two choices for the 1100. One is cost effective at $85.00 and the other is a bit more expensive at $150.00 Stick with the higher priced one. Much better quality someone here was saying.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-11333-gl1100a.aspx

They use to have just one starter for the 1100's, just a bit over $100.00. I had used several of them and they were darn near as good as the OEM. There price went up to $150.00 so they brought in a cheap "import" for those that wanted something "cost effective". Stick with the $150.00 one with the 2 year warranty.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the info what did you do to "clean" it. I saw the donor bike and it looked like it had been there for a number of years. Getting the newly purchased one working would be better for me I just had to put a clutch in the wifes rav4 and it still needs tires and lower controll arm for insp next month so the $ for a new one at this moment is in question.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The cheap starters are not made worth a crap, but if you wind up buying one, get another spare one for when it craps out on you.

Plenty of threads on here about starters, either get the OEM starter rebuilt, or go with a reputable company. Stay away from Chinese junk starters.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I would try the cleaning first, I followed the link by Mr Magic Fingers over a year and 8,000 miles ago and it's still working fine.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Woods Wagon,

If you follow the link that MCLOCK provided above...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html

You will find a step by step guide on removing and cleaning your starter. No need to purchase anything until you need to. You can even try opening up your original starter that was giving you trouble to take a look at it if you still have it.

It's not hard.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well pulled her in the shed after the wife got home from work and the kids were settled in enough as not to be my shadow love my girls but cant have em hanging off my neck while performing surgery on the old girl not to mention the three year old would be running off with the parts. Well everything was clean and not much dust but the connection where the wire from the windings gets bolted to the first set of brushes was broken. Kinda finangled a fix out of my assortment of electrical connectors and stuck her back in for a dry run and eureeka shes whirling over like a champ again. Note to self and anyone here looking at this "GET A SOLDERING KIT FOR STUFF LIKE THIS" Made what I had at hand work and am pretty comfortable about putting the boards and pipes back on in the morning but what I would have done for a little drop of solder tonight! Thanks for link hook up Mr Magic Fingers excellent write up by the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.