Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It looks like the Starter on my 82 GL1100 has given up the ghost. The battery is charged and the relay is clicking but no starter movement. The book says I have to remove the engine to get the starter out but there has to be an easier way. Any suggestions? Could it be something else? I'm a former Auto mechanic in the USAF but I'm still learning about Bikes!

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You won't need to remove the engine, but do put the biike on the side stand just before you pull the starter out. This precaution prevents the starter sprocket from rolling inside the engine.

Mr. Magic Fingers guide to refurbishing a GL1100 starter motor is what you need.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html

There are countless forum posts too, but that guide covers it all.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Just remove the two bolts and yank it out... Little harder to put back in as you have to line up the gear. and be careful when you tighten the wire post.. you can break the post real easy

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I hope you tested to verify that it's indeed the starter that's bad.

Just because the solenoid clicks doesn't mean it's actually delivering power to the starter.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I changed my starter out easily without removing the engine. The hardest part was changing out the starter drive sprocket(located just inside the hole where you pulled your starter). The new starter I bought came with a new sprocket, that I had to use, as the old sprocket wouldn't fit the new starter, no way no how.. but you have to be VERY careful that sprocket doesn't fall in past the drive-chain.. although it was an easy swap, it was meticulous. I've read recent threads where new starters were going for about $89... I paid alot more..but I didn't know about these forums at that time.. so just do your homework on these forums and it'll save you money..
Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
I hope you tested to verify that it's indeed the starter that's bad.

Just because the solenoid clicks doesn't mean it's actually delivering power to the starter.
^^ What he said....jump the connections on the solenoid to make sure first. Even a bad solenoid will click...and the chances of it being a bad solenoid are much greater than a bad starter in my experience.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately 1100 starters are barely strong enough to do the job when in good condition. I've changed several 1100 starters and did all of them with the bike on the centerstand. The sprocket can slip inward a bit but I've never had one move more than a half inch or so, it's easily pulled back into position with a finger or piece of wire.

Often it's possible to rebuild the starter, most problems with them are due to worn commutators and brushes. Clean them up, check the bearings, bend up the grounding tabs on the brush plate and you might get lucky and be able to reuse that starter. Also if you have an autmotive electrical shop nearby most of them can rebuild the starter for you. Usually a lot cheaper than a new starter. But give ita shot at repairing it first.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

First off the drive sprocket cannot get lost in the engine so have no fear of lossing it. Having the bike on the side stand makes linning up the starter with the sprocket much easier. Also have you turned the engine over by hand. You may have a case of hydolock . When hydo locked a bike sounds like the starter is dead. Pull plugs and turn engine over by hand or with starter
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i believe ive seen better aftermarket starters that put out more horsepower

exavid is correct they BARELY do the job thats why the failure on the 1100 starter is so often

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Using a test light, ground it and while pushing the start button, probe the cable at the starter. If it lights the relay is good....................Or while pushing the start button, tap on the starter LIGHTLY, with a SMALL hammer...........I had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago. Pulled the starter, did the refresh and no problems since.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

Had to change my starter the other day,getting it out was not to hard but getting mine back in made me invent new swear words,the replacement starter was a 1/4 inch longer,so swapped gear drives and brush end caps,then notched the case with a file,it slipped right in with a wiggle or two. Works great now. Charlie G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.