Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a great deal on my 1983 1100 but now it won't turn over. The solenoid clicks but the starter motor does nothing. My question is... Is it the starter motor or the solenoid or both that I need to replace?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hello Wishbone and welcome to the forum from Texas. First, is this a new bike to you? Has this problem just started or, do you know? Could be a low battery, engine could be hydrolocked, pull all four plugs and see if it will spin. There are many other things to check but that is a start.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Wishbone63

If its not hydrolocked you might need to clean the starter.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I checked the battery and it is fully charged. With the plugs out and the bike on the center stand, I can rotate the rear wheel with the bike in gear.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Checking and cleaning all the connections ground, battery, solenoid and starter would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Connect one end of a jumper cable to the battery positive, and tip the other end to the starter motor terminal. If the starter is good, it should turn.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Issues..bad starter, bad solenoid, bad /low battery, bad connection someplace..

to test starter..use car battery..positive to starter stud, negative to bike frame/engine..touch just for a second to see if starter spins..note bike in neutral!! key off stop run off too. If it spins back to the other possibilities.

Check battery draw down when pushing starter button battery should stay above 10.5V's if not bad battery or low charge at least. Need a meter for this check.

key on..bike in neutral push starter button if still nothing then..jump solenoid studs with big screw driver..will spark and metal can melt use old screw driver..if starter turns ..bad solenoid. very likely.

if still no joy check cables and connections to the starter including the ground contact point on the engine hanger..next to the petcock. And the cables themselves can be corroded inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.