Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So I'm trying to cheap out on a new starter with an after market, problem is the sprocket. My old one won't fit on the new starter and the supplied sprocket is smaller, so I'm worried it will strip the chain.

Old one is top: 38mm, bottom 31.5mm new one is 35.25, 29.

Do I just have to get the real OEM or is the difference not going to matter??

Thanks for any help, you guys are great.

Cheers,

CT

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
If I am imagining correctly where you are taking those measurements I would be hesitant to use that sprocket.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
That sounds like a big difference CT. A couple of chaps on this side of the pond got stung with cheap starters and the same issue as you. They ended up not using them at all and got their old starters refurbished.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I went through 4 new aftermarket starters, none of them came with a sprocket, just a splined shaft, each one lasted about 3 weeks at the most, before burning out.

I then decided to go with the original starter from the '82 donor bike I had, it was a whole lot more work because the original is about a 1/4" longer than the new replacements and won't just stab in, it involved removing the left hand lower frame member that you're only supposed to remove if your taking the engine out, but hey, as ugly as this thing is (a little rusty looking) it ain't failed me in the 10 years it's been on there!!

You can search through all this, chances are though, they really won't have a clue what they are selling. :sadguy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...nkw=goldwing+starter+sprocket+GL1100&_sacat=0

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.