Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that the temperature has dropped to below freezing, I'm having some difficulty starting my bike. The starter won't engage and it just free wheels. Is there a way to repair this? After the temp. outside rises in the afternoon, it works just fine.
Thanks in advance for your response.
JamesGang
Cape Breton Is., CANADA

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

very common problem in these older wings... a couple of things to try.... thinner grade oil... try draining out a quart of oil and adding a qaurt of marvel mystery oil,,,, drive a couple hundred miles, then do an oil change..

you can replace the bearings in the starter clutch in the back of the engine, but you have to pull the engine.... it is a real PITA, and you probably will still have this problem in real cold weather (which I hear that have in Canada)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

You can go with a lighter weight oil, or keep your bike nside a warm garage. LOL You could also put it in gear and give it a push and kind of bump the engine over alittle to free things up before you try the starter.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Rodger,
I will try a lower viscosity oil, however, it's almost time to park the bike for the winter and I really didn't want to change the oil at this time. I'll be storing it in a heated garage where I can do some work on her. I'm going to install new pipes and water pump seal as it's been leaking coolant out of the weep hole for the past few month's. In the meantime, is there anything that can be done to force the starter to engage?
Regards,
JameGang

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you, Rumple.
I posted my last response before seeing your reply. I'll try your method next time I have the problem!
Cheers,
JamesGang

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:GL1100 & GL1200 Starter Motor Spinning Problem: Lots of owners of these GoldWings have experienced this problem when the weather gets cold and GL1100 or GL1200 starter motorspins but will not turn the engine over. It has been found that using 20W-50 oil is a major cause of this problem especially in cold weather. Changing to a lighter oil such as 10W-40 usually fixes this problem.

There is nothing wrong with your starter or the starter clutch and all you can do till you go go to a lighter oil ishit the starter button several times and eventuallythe starter will engage. I have had this happen on my '83 Interstatebutitgoes away after I go back to 10W-40oil. Late spring I change oil again and go back to 20W-50 till late fall.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

My 84 Aspy was doing this infrequently during the fall. Now that the temps have dropped into the 30s it happens every time, and that's with 10w40 oil. Any problems if I go to 5W30 oil? It takes 10 - 15 times before the starter will engage. 43k miles on the bike.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
My 84 Aspy was doing this infrequently during the fall. Now that the temps have dropped into the 30s it happens every time, and that's with 10w40 oil. Any problems if I go to 5W30 oil? It takes 10 - 15 times before the starter will engage. 43k miles on the bike.
:waving:I don't think you will encounter any prolems using 5W-30 oil during the cold winter weather but in the spring go back to 10W-40.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem yesterday.Put a halogen work lamp next to the starter for 10minutes or so while fooling with other stuff,and it started right up.Had to go to the UAP for some seafoam and fill the tank and park for the winter,too much rain and cold temp's(0-3deg c).

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

JamesGang wrote:
Thanks Rodger,
I will try a lower viscosity oil, however, it's almost time to park the bike for the winter and I really didn't want to change the oil at this time.
I never thought that either, but the guys here convinced me to do an oil change, before it sits for the winter. Clean oil doesn't have any acids or contaminants in it, to soak your bearing in all winter. And, that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Howdy everyone I am new to the goldwing forum. This is my first post but, I have been reading alot of very helpful information. I have a 1985 LTD with 19000 miles on it, went down to the building today to start it up and let it run for a while and when I pushed the starter button it did nothing but spin freely.I kept trying and it finally started. When I looked on the forum I was glad to know my starter wasn't down. Thanks to all for information.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi Mike, thanks for your response.
Just so we're clear, I don't intend to let the bike sit with old oil in it. Because I have a leaking water pump seal, I will drain the oil and coolant when I park it for the winter. I must change the seals, boil out the rad, install a new thermostat, new pipes and new timing belts this winter. But in the mean time, I think I'll do an oil and filter change because I just may get a couple more weeks of riding time,maybe, ha,ha.
Cheers,
Rick

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Well, if YOU hope for a couple more weeks of riding time, I guess I better too.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

As far as I know, all the Hondas use a starter clutch consisting of sprung mini barrels that catch in one direction only. I have had to replace these on CB350s and CB750s; they wear or don't pop out correctly.

The previous owner of my 83 Aspy changed them, but my 1982 GL1100I with 40,000 mi sometimes spins witout catching.

Oil might help, warmer weather, or replacement of these starter catches.

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
imported post

This might sound like a dumb question, but how does oil weight affect if the starter engages or not? I have the same problem with my beast (nick name put on the bike by the wife) and that is when the temp is around 45 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The Starter runs through a sprague clutch. It is designed as a over-running clutch. The bearings that engage the clutch work on centrifigual force. Over time the bearings develope a varnish from the constant oil exposure and they hang up (not engaging), most times it can be resolved with a good engine flush and fresh oil. In cextreme cold temps it is more prevalent.

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
imported post

I think I understand. I am replacing the headgaskets sometime this winter. I will pull the starter out and do some investigating. Probably put some new brushes in it while I am at it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Here's an update.
Although the bike bike is tucked away in a heated garage for the winter, I did change the oil about a week before parking her. As some recommended, I did change to a thinner viscosity, 10w30, and that corrected the problem of the starter not engaging at lower ambient temperature.
Thanks to all for your help and advise.
Happy New Year

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I solved the problem by pulling the batteries and putting the GLs away for hibernation until April.

7deg F here a couple of days ago.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Well it looks like I have the same problem but flushing and changing the oil does not seem to help. History, 45K miles, always started but sometimes did not engage. Starter went south on me, replaced starter, starter up fine the first time. Then started to engage less and less. Flushed today and changed oil to 5W-30 with Seafoam and still will not engage at all. Any help to the next stage of fixing,let me know. I hope it isn't pulling the motor as I haven't got the time for that.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.