Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My starter on my '83 Gold Wing makes a zing sound for a few seconds after starting. Any idea what's happening??:?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

The starter solenoid or starter switch is sticking. My vote is the solenoid as it carries the most current and is prone to arcing.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
The starter solenoid or starter switch is sticking. My vote is the solenoid as it carries the most current and is prone to arcing.
HOW DO I FIX THAT? IS A SOLENOID EXPENSIVE?
SORRY 'BOUT THE CAPS BUT MY CAP LOCK GETS STUCK.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Solenoids are not very expensive and I think Honda still sell them. A lot of members fit aftermarket solenoids which are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Many years ago the soliniod on my '76 wing smoked itself. The local dealer wanted $74 for a new one. I didn't have that to spend at the time, so a friend suggested a solinoid from a old ford 6 cyl. I went to the auto parts store and got one for less then $10.It worked like a charm and was heavier duty the the stock Honda one. Just a bit larger in size so it was a tight fir to get the cover back on.,,

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rider 76 wrote:
My starter on my '83 Gold Wing makes a zing sound for a few seconds after starting. Any idea what's happening??:?
Slow reactions and a cold left thumb or a sticky starter button?
If the button is engaged even for a second after the bike starts the starter will wind up to amazing speeds and take a few seconds to wind down.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

If you want to try a relay go toEbay and type GOLD WING INTERSTATE STARTER RELAY SOLENOID .ON Ebay. with new fuse update $20.65 new all day long.I bought one to update that dog bone fuse solenoid WORKED GREAT........ free shipping hope this helps:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt mine, but you have to know how to solder.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

That would probably work. The one I used for the ford 6 cylinder has to have larger contacts for the heavier load it was designed to handle.But is physically bigger also, so if I was stuck I would give the tractor one a try.,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.