Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike is a 1983 Gold Wing Aspencade. It's been sitting for the last three years. It ran just before shutting down. He drained the gas and that's as far as he got. This is definately a project bike so before I try to start it, what kinds of things should I check first besides the basic stuff like change oil, plugs and so forth?????

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Check the fuel tank for rust and if there's not much just put in fresh fuel and try to start it.

The brakes will need to be checked and the timing belts should be changed if you don't know their age but first things first.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

If it was stored inside it shouldn't be much problem but if stored outdoors drain the oil and remove the spark plugs and check for any water in the cylinders and remove the plug on the left rear of the engine (17mm) and try to turn the bolt under it (12mm) clockwise only. If it turns keep going gently a couple turns and feel for any catches, if it stops find out why before going further. Could be a valve stuck open and a piston hitting it. If it turns freely then you can begin the process of getting it running.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Before even turning it over by hand I would remove all the plugs and pour oil into the cylinders, or better yet, spray some marine fogging oil in there. The cylinders will be dry after all those years, and turning it over could score the cylinder walls. Unlike engines with vertical cylinders, where you can just fill them full of oil, and let them soak, the Goldwing has horizontal cylinders, and if any of the valves are open, the oil will just run out the valves. Even WD-40 in the cylinders is better than nothing, it penetrates fairly well, and is slippery for a while. It's metal to metal contact you want to avoid.

Once you get it turning over ok, I would change the oil, then spin it with the starter, with the plugs out, to lubricate everything. Then start in on all the maintenance. Before you spin it with the starter, you might want to remove the belt covers and just make sure the belts are not broken or almost broken. You will need to remove the covers to replace them anyway.

There is a list of stuff to do, if the previous owner drained the carbs, they MIGHT be ok, but don't count on it, after all those years.

Change oil and filter

Change coolant, flush system with distilled water

Replace timing belts

Replace spark plugs

Replace air filter

Replace brake fluid, and check brakes for proper operation. You may need to rebuild the master cylinders and calipers after all that time. Also check the brake pads

Remove the rear wheel, the final drive gearcase, and the driveshaft. Inspect the splines for wear, clean everything, and coat the splines with moly paste. Most people use Honda Moly 60, I use Guard Dog 573. This is important, because spline wear is an issue on Goldwings. Change the oil in the final drive gearcase

You will definitely need new tires and a new battery

Once you get it running, with a good battery in it, check the charging system. You should get close to 14 volts across the battery terminals with the engine at about 3000 rpm. Check for burned and melted wires and connectors in the charging system, if you find burned connectors, cut them out and solder the wires directly together. Check the temperature of the regulator while the engine is running. If you get burned, something is wrong, but I don't know what. I haven't figured mine out yet. If you don't, and your bike is charging, consider yourself lucky.

There are a few more things you can do, but I would do the above stuff first, to avoid causing possible damage to the bike, or in the case of the tires and brakes, having an accident. Enjoy your new toy.

Oh, and lots of love and patience. These old bikes need lots of both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.